Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10x50s and The Observers Sky Atlas

orions_boot

I don't know about anyone else but tonight is the first in about 2 weeks where there isn't a cloud in the sky.

I headed out at 2200hrs and for some reason have been focusing on Cassiopeia/Andromeda/Triangulum area.

I think the combination of dry cold and no clouds contributed to an apparently darker sky despite the street lamps not being out yet.

I believe I have now worked out how to use the sky atlas, how far things are apart on the paper, and how it corresponds to the sky.  Also picked up a red light head torch which makes things easier but puts a blue tinge on things when I turn it off.  In saying all that I am still not completely certain I have seen what my atlas suggests.

NGC884+NGC869 - Initially I am quite sure I mistook these for something else which is in that direction but I cannot identify.  I am now sure I have identified them as two small and distinct clusters.

NG752 - Possibly what I thought was the above.  This is essentially a row of stars in a long cluster and the only thing on my chart between Triangulum and Andromeda.  Stars are mainly orange/yellow.  There are two brighter stars one at each end.  Apparently both of these are binary stars and labelled simply as 56 and 59 on my chart if I am right which I am probably not.   Can anyone help?

NGC663 - Quite nebulous odd shape of stars.  I could mainly see the brighter ones so the fainter ones looked like cloud/whisp.

M33 - Couldn't find it and tried for a rather long time.  M31 was easy.  Any tips?

M45 - Very bright and very blue.  Could see it with unaided eye but no detail without binoculars.

Hyades and NGC1647 - Cannot remember these particularly but I am sure I saw them before I came in with numb fingers.

• Like 1

The observers sky atlas was my first guide, the little finders are quite good, though some of the objects that are hard to see unless your skies are very dark... M33, North America Nebula and pelican, ic1396,  mgc281, ngc2237, ngc2024, and many of the fainter galaxies fall in the same category.

Have a look through central Auriga and see if you can find any of M36/7/8?

Ngc457 is the ET/Owl cluster as it has two prominent stars. in the area is ngc7789 Caroline’s cluster, very dense and worth finding.

What scope/binoculars are you using? The advantage of the sky atlas is you can star hop from hopefully easy to find stars. A planisphere or something like stellarium will help you understand how the constellations fit together, make using the sky atlas easier

Peter