Narrowband

BRESSER Messier 6'' Planetary Dobsonian Telescope

22 hours ago, johninderby said:

New little dob from Bresser. Nice to see a small dob with proper bearings.

These look very good, I too love the bearings. I might have asked before but I'll ask again- who makes the mirrors and are they of good quality? How much mag will your bigger version of this scope take?

If I was in the market for a dob these would be given serious consideration, if the optics performed well.

The optics are made by JOC and just as good as the Skywatcher. Nothing to choose between them opticaly. The build quality of the Bresser is better however and they are beter equipped. 

My 10” dob will handle about 400x on the moon.

• Like 2

Just now, johninderby said:

The optics are made by JOC and just as good as the Skywatcher. Nothing to choose between them opticaly. The build quality of the Bresser is better however and they are beter equipped. 

I figured the optics were good and the build quality does look good in the pictures. My VX10 also goes about 400x on the moon. 40x/inch is nothing to sneeze at thats for sure.

Once the manufacturer's get a handle on consistent optical quality with the large 18"+ mirrors it just might put a dent in the custom dob market. It sounds like 12" and less mirrors are for sure under control quality wise IMHO.

I was thinking of building some largish dobs but there will be no way to compete with these guys in the future possibly.

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2020 at 15:38, johninderby said:

You mean the famous @JOC: STEM ambassador, keeper of ducks and chickens and maker of 6" parabolic mirrors? ;)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

The Bresser dobs do seem to be catching on don’t they? 🤔. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Aside from the finderscope, they are well designed, well built, good value for money and easy to use. And the 10" is just £86 more than the SW 250px. Which, to me at least, seems like an inferior scope. 

Edited by Matt01
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

The Bresser dobs do seem to be catching on don’t they? 🤔. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

During the pandemic it is almost impossible to say what is/isn't trending because sales of virtually all astronomy kit have gone through the roof!  

Astronomy is an ideal hobby for someone stuck at home during a lockdown. Also experienced astronomers unable to holiday abroad are using the money saved to upgrade. The only fly in the ointment is manufacturers are unable to keep up with demand. I expect things will settle down when a vaccine becomes readily available, perhaps 6-12 months. 

Steve 

• Like 1

I think Bresser dobs are finaly getting established in the UK market. Before it was the SW dobs are cheaper so I’m going for the SW as they look similar and everyone knows them but now that there is more feedback and reports on SGL the Bressers are seen as a step up from the SW for a bit more  money. 👍🏻

Not that there is anything wrong with choosing a SW dob but there is now another option. 🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 18:28, johninderby said:

I think Bresser dobs are finaly getting established in the UK market

John  , Having owned a larger bresser and rather foolishly letting it go , what is a 6" Dob good for ? I ask this question only because i am very interested in purchasing another bresser but i never thought about such a portable size before . We know the quality is better than the skywatcher , but i can pick up ( another ) SW 200p for the same money . In my experience the SW is a good scope but nothing extraordinary , whereas the bressers tend to be built with more finesse. Ok , back to my point , will i see a lot less with a 150mm dob than a 200mm in bortle 6 skies . I am leaning towards the 6" ... does that make me crazy lol 

The 8” will show more than the 6” of course but the longer focal length of the 6” will mean cheaper eyepieces and of course the scope is lighter to carry. Think the 6” will be an exceleent planetary and lunar scope whereas the 8” will be better on DSOs.

To me it comes down to two main considerations. Will it be used mainly for lunar / planetary or DSOs and how important is portability. 

Edited by johninderby

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

To me it comes down to two main considerations. Will it be used mainly for lunar / planetary or DSOs and how important is portability.

Yes , although i ALWAYS have intentions of observing from a dark site i never seem to get there , this time of year is a bit of a nightmare with Xmas lights adorning the neighbours and our picket fence ! ( yes i know its only November lol ) ... I really like the bresser 6" .. i try to look at everything i can in the night sky so i suppose the extra aperture is useful .. but ... i keep coming back to that bresser ! So  to round up , Portability is important only for ease of set up .. Planetary viewing is great , but i have an SCT 127, reckon i'm talking myself into a 12" Dob !!!!!

I have a couple of questions on the Bresser dobs, if thats OK ?

They do seem to be better appointed than the Skywatcher and GSO dobs, better focusers, altitude bearings and tube rings, that sort of thing. These seem to be a good step above the Skywatcher and GSO offerings. The finders seem to be not quite so good on the Bressers - is that fair ?

What about the optical quality of the mirrors, which are, after all, the heart of the telescope ?. I've owned and used a number of Skywatcher newtonians / dobsonians and I have found the optical performance of these consistently pretty good. I've owned a couple of GSO made dobs and the mirrors on those were figured OK but not well over-coated.

Is there any evidence that the mirrors that are used in the Bresser dobsonians are of better optical quality than the equivalent Skywatcher instruments ?. I'm sure the over-coatings are good quality but what about the figure and polish ?

Just trying to get a comprehensive picture on what the additional costs buy you with the Bressers. Optical quality has always been high on my list of priorities and I can accept small compromises in other things (which can latter be modded) to get this.

Edited by John

I’ve owned a few SW dobs and would say there is no difference in optical quality compared to the Bressers however the 8” and 10” Bressers have far better mirror cells  which doesn’t hurt. Don’t know about the 6” Bresser. 

The finder on the 10” Bresser is better than the SW but on the 8” not quite as good. 

The big advantage on the 8” and 10” Bressers is the focuser. Very nice CNC 2.5” R&P. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Bressers use slightly larger secondary mirrors so slightly greater obstruction but doiubt the difference would be noticeable for visual.

Thanks John.

I was wondering what the term "Planetary" meant in terms of optimisation for this purpose.