Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASI294MC Camera

Looking at getting one of these to go on my esprit 120ed, has anyone any experience with this one shot color camera, would it be a worthy/suitable addition to my telescope. My main concern is finding a suitable spacer to go between dedicated flattener and camera, also would it work OK with a fairly low spec laptop with only usb 2 ports and 8g ram running windows 10

Thanks for any advice

On 09/10/2020 at 00:00, dark knight said:

Looking at getting one of these to go on my esprit 120ed, has anyone any experience with this one shot color camera, would it be a worthy/suitable addition to my telescope. My main concern is finding a suitable spacer to go between dedicated flattener and camera, also would it work OK with a fairly low spec laptop with only usb 2 ports and 8g ram running windows 10

Thanks for any advice

Hello,

I don't have any experience with the ASI294MC but I read some reviews and user experiences about the ASI294MC, and one thing I that got my attention is that amp-glow was often mentioned. Personally I'd go for the ASI533MC (but that's also because it's cheaper). As for the laptop, 8g is a more then enough for capturing and even a decent amount of ram for pre- en post-processing. The 2 usb ports, you can solve with usb hub.

Of course the opinion of a experienced ASIMC294MC user will be more valuable then my 2 cent comments.

AstroRookie

I have the 294mc pro and its fantastic! the amp glow is there but easily gone with dark frames. The 533 has no amp glow but does have a square sensor which wasn't for me.  have a look on https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/ to find the best fit for your set up.

Edit. these are taken with the 294mc pro..

quassihubble1_clone.png

cygnus wall final.png

M31 final edit.png

Edited by Dan13
uploaded pics for ref to OP
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Dan13 said:

I have the 294mc pro and its fantastic! the amp glow is there but easily gone with dark frames. The 533 has no amp glow but does have a square sensor which wasn't for me.  have a look on https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/ to find the best fit for your set up.

Edit. these are taken with the 294mc pro..imageproxy.php?img=&key=127fb0a7147957bfimageproxy.php?img=&key=127fb0a7147957bfimageproxy.php?img=&key=127fb0a7147957bfimageproxy.php?img=&key=127fb0a7147957bf

quassihubble1_clone.png

cygnus wall final.png

M31 final edit.png

Wow, impressive images! I regret having made my comment about the amp-glow, but what you want, I'm

AstroRookie

I'm also looking at the same camera as an upgrade to my dslr and as has already been said the amp glow is a non issue with calibration frames. I also don't like the idea of a square sensor as seen on some other cameras. 

On 10/10/2020 at 14:47, AstroRookie said:

Wow, impressive images! I regret having made my comment about the amp-glow, but what you want, I'm

AstroRookie

No regrets needed :) it has amp glow you advised but not an issue with good calibration frames. Best to find the right fit for your equipment with the link I supplied. 

Clear skies