SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

StellaLyra Classical Cassegrain & Ritchey-Chrétien Telescopes

FLO

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2021 at 01:18, nfotis said:

Nice video, I watched it on mute due to the late night (did you say anything? I didn't see any subtitles available)

N.F.

Thanks, no voiceovers on this one, just the text on the slides. 

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Impressive! I've done a bit of daytime Lunar imaging, but I didn't even know daytime Jupiter imaging was a thing! 

I can feel a video coming on 🤣👍🏻

• Haha 1

On 08/11/2020 at 16:04, AndyThilo said:

Very interested in the 8" F8 but it would be purely for galaxy season AP. Anyone know if a motor focuser like a ZWO EAF can be fitted?

Did you ever get an answer to this? I bought an EAF for mine recently but I'm having trouble attaching it, although FLO have suggested a longer M4 screw and they tell me that another 8" CC owner has successfully fitted one.

Or can anyone else help?

Meanwhile I'll see if I can pick up a longer M4 screw.

It looks like I've got it attached to the 8" CC successfully using a 16mm M4 screw and 3 washers. It's working with the manual controller, although the screw can't be too tight or "slow" doesn't work, so hopefully it'll be ok in NINA and APT.

I got the pack of M4 screws from Amazon.

20210525_135938.jpg

20210525_140001.jpg

Edited by Mikey0368
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, johninderby said:

95ADDEA0-8DF7-4E87-A299-691E8A13A185.jpeg

I suppose a bit early to celebrate - she’s probably about 4000miles away by sea, so 18-20 calendar days yet (@ the 9kts she is doing just now).

Our incoming container isn't on the EverGreen, apologies if that impression came from us - it was undoubtedly affected by the Evergreen as it delayed the original shipping schedules and massively increased the shipping price as everybody panicked with the delays but our container is on a different vessel, currently docked at Southampton and due with us next week :-)

2 minutes ago, FLO said:

Our incoming container isn't on the EverGreen, apologies if that impression came from us - it was undoubtedly affected by the Evergreen as it delayed the original shipping schedules and massively increased the shipping price as everybody panicked with the delays but our container is on a different vessel, currently docked at Southampton and due with us next week 🙂

It was my assumption only.

As I’ve mentioned before, as far as I am concerned the bovine excrements often contacts the rotating air displacement machinery <shrug>.

There is no criticism intended.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my StellaLyra RC8! (sorry for the clouds....).

What is your experience in terms of collimation? What would be an easy tool that that someone with no collimation experience could use without screwing everything up? I initially bought the TS tool for RC telescopes but FLO advised this tool couldn't be used on the StellaLyra RC8....

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Doversole said:

I just got my StellaLyra RC8! (sorry for the clouds....).

What is your experience in terms of collimation? What would be an easy tool that that someone with no collimation experience could use without screwing everything up? I initially bought the TS tool for RC telescopes but FLO advised this tool couldn't be used on the StellaLyra RC8....

Thanks!

1. Send the TS tool back for a refund

2. Do a star test to check if you need to collimate

3. Post in one of the equipment forums to get more visibility of your query.

I finally received my RC 8” f8 last week, it’s not even been out the box yet :(

Edited by iapa
  • Like 1

Just joined the 10" Classical Cassegrain Stellalyra gang :) Fantastic service (as always) from FLO

Anyone used it with a 178c camera and, if so, any guidance on the number of extensions used? I can't focus on anywhere distant in the daytime and so any help with approximated extensions needed will help when I get it set up (hopefully Monday night)

• Like 1

On 26/07/2021 at 14:43, Doversole said:

I purchased the TS tool for collimating my RC8 before it was highlighted that is 'did not work' with the 8" Stella Lyra. However, what I would say is that is does make it easier. The collimation on mine was quite a bit out when I got it so I have had to re-collimate. Although the mirrors were reasonably aligned, the alignment with the focuser was quite a way out. I am still struggling to get it spot on - as everyone suggests RC's are a pain to collimate. I have used the TS tool to align the secondary (as per the standard instructions) and also to check that the focuser remains aligned once the extension pieces have been added. As I now know the secondary is correct it makes aligning the primary mirror easier as at least you have a point of reference to work with. I then can carry out a star test to get the primary adjusted correctly as per the DSI method.

A Procedure for Collimating Ritchey-Chrétien and Other Cassegrain Telescopes (deepskyinstruments.com)

This has got me 95% there. I have a balanced image and the stars are OK across an APS-C size sensor. The very edges are not perfect yet which is affecting the OAG, but I think this may in part be down to the FL being slightly different to advertised. I intend to get a Ronchi grating to check this.

There is some more useful information here.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JimothyC said:

Hey @FLO any thoughts of listing the carbon tubed version of the 8 inch RC? Might be helpful for those who plan to sail a little close to their mounts payload. 

We have lots of thoughts regarding future products but none we can share publicly today 🤐 

Please follow the Sponsor Announcements and Offers for updates 🙂

Steve 

3 minutes ago, Doversole said:

Focal Reducer question to the owners of an RC8 scope.

Has anyone tried the Astro Essentials 0.75x Reducer for StellaLyra / GSO Ritchey Chretien OTA?

or would you recommend to stay with the TS 0.67 reducer CCD47?

Cheers

Tried once CCD47 with RC8" and did not like what I saw. I need to try it few times more, it could be down to improper spacing or tilt / collimation issues.

I'm also interested to hear how x0.75 Astro Essentials reducer works. There is one FF/FR that seems to work very well and reduces to x0.75 - but it costs pretty penny - Riccardi FF/FR x0.75 (m63 version for example):

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11122_Riccardi-0-75x-APO-Reducer-and-Flattener-with-M63x1-Thread.html