Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaLyra Classical Cassegrain & Ritchey-Chrétien Telescopes

FLO

The manual  that comes with the basic AZ5, which has  the alloy tripod, states a payload of 5 kg. With the heavy duty stainless steel tripod the payload is stated as 9 kg.

Its a shame that the tripod cannot handle the 6 inch CC better. I use a Skywatcher 150P Newt on the same arrangement and it normally  settles after a few seconds.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Think the key is getting the OTA balanced hence my mention of a counterweight to fit on the dovetail.

I think you have the answer John, but I am contemplating changing it for a lighter reflector scope.

1 hour ago, banjaxed said:

Yes John, it wobbles while focusing but it takes about 4/6 seconds to stabilise. I use my 127 Mak on the same set up and it is no problem.

Referring to the manual that @johninderby has reproduced, it's also worth trying the AZ5 arm in the vertical position (2nd image), as this will reduce the lever arm force being applied when you change focus. I had the AZ5 and used my Mak 127 in that configuration without any issues (as indeed you seem to have done).

Also worth noting that in addition to the increased weight of the OTA over a Mak 127, there may indeed by both a greater distance from the mount pivot to the focuser compared to the Mak 127, and indeed the force applied when you change focus is different (Mak is a small rotation left/right, whereas the CC would be a forward/back motion further out)... I certainly found my ST120 was more prone to wobble when focusing on the AZ5 than the Mak 127 🤔

6 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Referring to the manual that @johninderby has reproduced, it's also worth trying the AZ5 arm in the vertical position (2nd image), as this will reduce the lever arm force being applied when you change focus. I had the AZ5 and used my Mak 127 in that configuration without any issues (as indeed you seem to have done).

Also worth noting that in addition to the increased weight of the OTA over a Mak 127, there may indeed by both a greater distance from the mount pivot to the focuser compared to the Mak 127, and indeed the force applied when you change focus is different (Mak is a small rotation left/right, whereas the CC would be a forward/back motion further out)... I certainly found my ST120 was more prone to wobble when focusing on the AZ5 than the Mak 127 🤔

Thank you for your suggestions but I have already changed the AZ5 to the vertical position. I also have an ST 120 which is fine on the same mount as is the 127 Mak. As I said before it might be easier to change the scope for a lighter reflector but not before I try John’s suggestion of trying some extra weight to help it balance.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

The manual  that comes with the basic AZ5, which has  the alloy tripod, states a payload of 5 kg. With the heavy duty stainless steel tripod the payload is stated as 9 kg.

Its a shame that the tripod cannot handle the 6 inch CC better. I use a Skywatcher 150P Newt on the same arrangement and it normally  settles after a few seconds.

I am seriously considering changing it for a 150 Newtonian.

Is anyone having trouble attaching a finder scope? I have two finder scopes here and neither fit the shoe, regardless of which way I put them in. It only goes so far then sticks.

I've contacted FLO about it but it would be useful to know if anyone else has the same problem. 

The attached pics show how far it goes in from above and below.

20201128_094505.jpg

20201128_094527.jpg

I had the same problem, ended up filing it down for it to receive a skywatcher evoguide, there was a sort of bulge around the centre of the runner so only went in half way..

Edited by WbRaDy

On 28/11/2020 at 14:48, Mikey0368 said:

Is anyone having trouble attaching a finder scope? I have two finder scopes here and neither fit the shoe, regardless of which way I put them in. It only goes so far then sticks.

I've contacted FLO about it but it would be useful to know if anyone else has the same problem. 

The attached pics show how far it goes in from above and below.

20201128_094505.jpg

20201128_094527.jpg

I've had this issue before when the screws securing the foot to the scope were too tight and deforming the shape of the foot.  Try backing them off a touch?

2 minutes ago, AndyThilo said:

If it was screwed tight, the clamp would open up, not close?

Depends on finder shoe construction.

This one has "raised" floor - which means that sides will bend inward. One with "flat" floor would bend into shape of OTA and hence sides would bend outward.

image.png.44bc2ab77dc859f6c5bdf9613e68c30d.png

• Like 1

Counterweight for the back heavy CC6”.

Wanted a simple not too expensive counterweight to help balance the scope. Liked the Baader version but too expensive and didn’t like the ADM one so came up with my own compact not too expensive setup.

Used the ADM Vixen dovetail plate adaptor and a pair of 1kg weights from Amazon.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-vixen-type-v-series/adm_vdpa_adaptor.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JCJLUJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The weights are indeed steel of course not aluminium as desribed on Amazon. 🙄 Removing the bracket from the weight was a pain though as it was glued with some super strong thread lock. Drilled the bolt from the back using a small drill and the vibration and heat broke the bolt loose.

The weights have a 1/4 20 photo type thread and can be screwed together. Used the bolt that came with the ADM dovetail adaptor so no mods needed at all. 👍🏻

Easy to adjust and add or remove the second weight. Could always buy another pair of weights if needed.

9CB961F3-5D83-4C88-9638-9F0ECE056E95.jpeg

1E3E352F-DBF2-454A-BB9E-7B2BED81FE54.jpeg

08723951-F4C1-49F8-BCF6-EC162645B715.jpeg

C01498E8-2459-4944-B3FC-57987A7177E6.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Heads up...all models back int stock at @FLO 😀

However, big increase in price across the range... guess that’s not unexpected given current economic climate 😬

I noticed the price hike. up £100 to £499 on the 6" and £200 up to £999 on the 8" models. 

4 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Interestingly, also another batch of the StellaMira 80mm ED f/10 seem to have arrived too, these are the same price though... excellent scope, but then I’m biased 😀

I’m sure I have one laying around somewhere. 🤔.  😁😁😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The StellaLyra 8RC seems to be pretty decent for lunar imaging considering the size of the central obstruction. I'm guessing the aplanatic flat field helps with this. Here's a video test:

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2