Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaLyra Classical Cassegrain & Ritchey-Chrétien Telescopes

FLO

11 hours ago, Mikey0368 said:

I take it this one would run ok on an HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt?  I would be imaging with a ZWO ASI224MC and I probably won't have the finder scope attached.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-telescopes/stellalyra-8-f12-m-lrs-classical-cassegrain-telescope-ota.html

If its planetary imaging you should be ok. 

My exos2 copes ok for visual but it looks a bit undersized for the scope. Not tried imaging yet but think the heq5 can take a couple more kg than mine.

6 hours ago, Mikey0368 said:

I've taken the plunge and ordered the 8CC.

Would a 2.5x or 5x Powermate be suitable with this or would it not need it? Perhaps worthwhile for the outer planets?

For planetary imaging, I would suggest no more than 2x Barlow with this scope. For observation, you may be happy with a 8mm to 10mm eyepiece, if the eye relief is adequate.

N.F.

Edited by nfotis
  • Thanks 1

On 18/10/2020 at 22:01, JeremyS said:

Nice job Chris @Lockie👍

Thanks Jeremy, I think it might be the longest video I've made so far lol

14 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Chris you certainly have a talent when it comes to videos. I really enjoyed the video and it was great to appreciate the size of the 8" RC. I look forward to the next instalment.

Hey Mark, wow that's really kind of you to say! I'm very glad you enjoyed it! :) The Stella Lyra 8RC has a lot of potential as an obsy scope I feel, I'm pretty psyched about it! 

5 hours ago, Mikey0368 said:

Thanks for the video, that's really useful. I'll be swapping the vixen and losmandy dovetail bars around as well. Do I actually need to put the losmandy one back on or is it needed for stability?

Cheers Mikey, You don't need to re install the Losmandy rail. I just did this to help with handling the telescope in terms of grip, but I did consider leaving it off.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lockie said:

Cheers Mikey, You don't need to re install the Losmandy rail. I just did this to help with handling the telescope in terms of grip, but I did consider leaving it off.  

Thanks. It's just arrived and I've switched the vixen rail to the bottom and so I'll leave the other one off to save weight.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 17:30, HollyHound said:

John, would you recommend this as a good large(ish) aperture scope for DSO observing or is this really more a lunar/planetary scope. I've got the Mak127, C5 and StellaMira right now, got rid of the Mak 150, as I'm thinking of something with more aperture to mount on the AZ Pro... the C8 and Mak 180 were in the frame, but this 8" CC looks ideal.

Presumably this need to be collimated like an SCT too ?

Thanks

Gary

Similar situation:) In the queue for a Skymax 180...and now this a tempting alternative

Any opinions on how they might compare contrast wise, considering CCs have a large central obstruction...?

Also would the spider struts have any effect on visual in the same way newts do seeing bright objects like Jupiter for instance...?

• Like 1

A couple of other points.........

Mine is the 8" CC and the weight is 7.5kg without the losmandy rail.

I also got just the one screw in the spotter mount. All the pics I've seen have only got one screw so I assume that's just how it is.

Edited by Mikey0368

I upgraded from a Skymax180 t a CC8”. The CC has better contrast and will take higher magnification  than  the Skymax. Just a big step up in performance, Add the advantages a quick cooldown and no dew problems and a fixed primary and a proper focuser and better build quality and it’s a bit of a no brainer to go with the CC.

Would imagine there will be a few Skymax180s coming up on the secondhand market. 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

I upgraded from a Skymax180 t a CC8”. The CC has better contrast and will take higher magnification  than  the Skymax. Just a big step up in performance, Add the advantages a quick cooldown and no dew problems and a fixed primary and a proper focuser and better build quality and it’s a bit of a no brainer to go with the CC.

Would imagine there will be a few Skymax180s coming up on the secondhand market. 🙂

Love that an “upgrade” actually prices lower for once ! For now...watch this space (pun intended 😂)

Edited by Luminated