Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StellaLyra Classical Cassegrain & Ritchey-Chrétien Telescopes

FLO

And the Baader RT Steeltrack makes a nice upgrade for the 8” Cassegrain. Just need the M90 adapter.

As you know I’m a big fan of the Classical Cassegrain. Wouldn’t go back to an SCT now. Very keenly priced scopes as well. 👍🏻

90FE3273-E12D-48E2-AE44-2FCD879F4728.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Are these by the same OEM that do the FLO's StellaMira APO scopes?

I've been contemplating that in one or two years time I might go for an EdgeHD 9.25, but now looking at these I'm wondering to scrap that idea and look at getting a 8" f/8 of these...

Will wait and see what others make of them, my wallet is still on fire...

Just now, johninderby said:

One question. Considering they are about the same price will the CC8” kill sales of the Skymax 180? 🤔

We don't know. It is too soon to say. 

Just now, tomato said:

The mystery is solved! 

Will the bigger aperture truss tube RCs be available from FLO at some point?

They might... 😁

Steve 

• Haha 1

Just now, FLO said:

We don't know. It is too soon to say. 

They might... 😁

Steve 

No rush, but I’m gonna own one someday, they do look the business and in the UK I spend more time looking at them than through them.

• Thanks 1

Stella Lyra 8" RC ordered :) I'm sure it's an easy fix to swap the rails around for my mounts Vixen saddle. Worst case scenario I'll buy an ADM Vixen to Losmandy saddle adaptor. Looking forward to having this as my observatory scope. Literally the same design as most large professional observatories! :) 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

As you know I’m a big fan of the Classical Cassegrain. Wouldn’t go back to an SCT now. Very keenly priced scopes as well.

John, would you recommend this as a good large(ish) aperture scope for DSO observing or is this really more a lunar/planetary scope. I've got the Mak127, C5 and StellaMira right now, got rid of the Mak 150, as I'm thinking of something with more aperture to mount on the AZ Pro... the C8 and Mak 180 were in the frame, but this 8" CC looks ideal.

Presumably this need to be collimated like an SCT too ?

Thanks

Gary

Focal length means it’s more of a lunar planetary scope like the SCT is although capable of some DSO work though.

Not had to collimate mine yet . Holds collimation very well unlike an SCT. The fixed primary mirror helps. Did find out how to collimate it though and it is a straight forward  process.

Here is the manual.

https://nimax-img.de/Produktdownloads/62478_1_Anleitung-EN.pdf

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

@FLO

You might want to revise your tech specs for these scopes - a bit of Copy/Paste I believe, both 6" and 8" CCs have same secondary size of 58mm?

I think that 8" version should have more like 67mm obstruction size.

There is also conflicting data on weight of 6" version - some report it to be 5.4kg, while you and Agena Astro put it at 6.3kg - almost 1kg of difference? Difference is even more significant for 8" version 9.1kg vs 7.5kg.

25 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Focal length means it’s more of a lunar planetary scope like the SCT is although capable of some DSO work though.

Not had to collimate mine yet . Holds collimation very well unlike an SCT. The fixed primary mirror helps. Did find out how to collimate it though and it is a straight forward  process.

Here is the manual.

https://nimax-img.de/Produktdownloads/62478_1_Anleitung-EN.pdf

That's great thank you. Good to hear about the collimation, my C5 SCT isn't hard to collimate, but I wasn't sure if this had a primary that needed collimation too... one of these days I am going to have to overcome my reluctance to get a Newtonian and give one a go too 😁

Well this 8" CC is on my wish list for sure now... been thinning down to a good set of equipment over the last month or so and only buying a few little bits, but definitely looking at something around 8" aperture over the next few months.

• Thanks 1

You know what would be nice addition to StellaLyra line of scopes?

x0.5 and x0.33 focal reducers.

I can see 6" scope becoming very interesting all rounder scope with above two focal reducers (if done affordably).

Natively, scope will be excellent for planetary and lunar work, double stars and such

With x0.5 reducer, one should get very about 25mm of usable field - that would make it comparable to 6" F/6 scope and provide very nice wide-ish field with 32mm plossl or other eyepiece that has 26-27mm field stop.

With x0.33 reducer - it would be very interesting EEVA platform. It should provide around 12-13mm of usable field in this configuration and F/4 system with 6" of aperture - what is not to like with ASI533 / ASI183 type cameras?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

You know what would be nice addition to StellaLyra line of scopes?

x0.5 and x0.33 focal reducers.

I can see 6" scope becoming very interesting all rounder scope with above two focal reducers (if done affordably).

Natively, scope will be excellent for planetary and lunar work, double stars and such

With x0.5 reducer, one should get very about 25mm of usable field - that would make it comparable to 6" F/6 scope and provide very nice wide-ish field with 32mm plossl or other eyepiece that has 26-27mm field stop.

With x0.33 reducer - it would be very interesting EEVA platform. It should provide around 12-13mm of usable field in this configuration and F/4 system with 6" of aperture - what is not to like with ASI533 / ASI183 type cameras?

Exactly, I routinely keep my C5 setup with the f6.3 focal reducer on it, giving me about 800mm (same as the StellaMira) but with 5" aperture... it's "almost" like a 5" APO, but supremely lightweight... I can lift it, the ScopeTech and Report outside with one hand 😀

If I fancy looking at lunar or planetary, I either just quickly take the reducer off or use the Mak 127. I could see these scopes being equally as versatile, or more so.

Edited by HollyHound