Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

GiL Young

Greetings from NE Pennsylvania Newbie

Hello, all ~

If you'd please take a moment to read the info in my profile, I'd be grateful beyond words. In short,, I leaped into this new passion before fully researching all of it's necessary aspects. I'm determined to verify with my own eyes the deep cosmos and better understand the far past & distant future events. Thanks so much for indulging this newbie.

~ GiL Young

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I'm a Newbie as well and I've read your info. 😃

Edited by Spacecake2
  • Like 1

Gil

Welcome from across the ditch, Pacific Ocean

John

• Like 1

Hi, welcome to SGL :smile:

• Like 1

Hi Gil, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge :)

Steve

• Like 1

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spacecake2 said:

Hello,

I'm a Newbie as well and I've read your info. 😃

Greetings, Soacecake2 ! Thanks for taking a moment to understand my situation and introducing yourself. Hope to keep in touch and share each other's progress.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Hello Gil and welcome.

HI, Peter. Thanks for your welcome. Your photo gallery shows many amazing examples of your work.  I can only hope to reach a fraction of the knowledge & experience  you've exhibited. Cheers !

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, laudropb said:

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL.

Appreciate your warm welcome., @laudropb Seasonal atmospheric conditions aren't ideal for skywatching here in northeast US either.

Edited by GiL Young
added info

13 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi Gil, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge :)

Stevet

Hello, Steve and thanks for your warm welcome. Amazing to receive replies so quickly, especially from "across the pond". Your list of equipment is impressive and helpful in choosing the right path in this exciting new world of wonder.

Hello and welcome from across the pond.  :smiley:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Hi, welcome to SGL :smile:

Truly appreciate the welcome, especially from a staff moderator.  So glad to be a part of this exciting journey.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, L8-Nite said:

Hello and welcome from across the pond.  :smiley:

Hi, Mike.  From CA to Wales ? And I thought my relocation from CA to PA was drastic. The time zone difference is challenging to keep up with replies, so you must be a night owl.

Edited by GiL Young
added statement
  • Like 1

Hi Gil,

The only thing I miss is the Central coast weather and the observing opportunities I took for granted. However, we swapped them for pure water, clean air, a slower pace of life and "real" whipped cream in the dairy products; you can almost hear your arteries hardening, lol.  I use to play guitar and base at a very limited level, but have given up due to the arthritis in my hands. Still have a few instruments, including a Stingray & Guild Pilot bass.  Stargazers Lounge is a great forum, with some very knowledgeable members more than willing to help. You have found a good place to be.

Welcome aboard.

PICT0003.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi GiL, welcome aboard SGL. Good to have you with us.

Looking through a telescope you will see photons that have been travelling for millions or billions of years, and that nobody else will ever see. Understanding how only makes the objects more beautiful. Enjoy your journey.

Edited by Starwatcher2001
  • Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 03:45, GiL Young said:

Hello, all ~

If you'd please take a moment to read the info in my profile, I'd be grateful beyond words. In short,, I leaped into this new passion before fully researching all of it's necessary aspects. I'm determined to verify with my own eyes the deep cosmos and better understand the far past & distant future events. Thanks so much for indulging this newbie.

~ GiL Young

Welcome! Great to see you here! Wes, Liverpool, UK.

• Like 1

So, I pulled the trigger and purchased a Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT, "used/ renewed" sold and shipped by Amazon.com (Prime). I'm very new to all of this having purchased a Celestron 76EQ a few months ago, adding a 2x Barlow and NexYZ smart phone adapter (mainly for a larger viewing device). It's been terribly frustrating getting it calibrated to start with among other challenges. I'm located in northeast Pennsylvania surrounded by tall trees and bright streetlights from the NE to the SW and my W to NW view overlooks a light-polluted downtown. My timing was not the best either, having begun this journey just 2 months ago with fall and winter quickly approaching. That adds an extra challenge of the cold weather, even though it makes for clear skies. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I pulled the trigger on the right model as I'm not in a position to invest thousands into a higher end computerized self-aligning telescope. I'd really appreciate your feedback, reassurance, opinions and any other advice you could offer. if there are any other users of this same model out there that might chime in I'd be very grateful. BTW, I did purchase an extra 12 volt AC adapter for it. The first of more accessories to come I'm sure. Thanks so much to all who can help this newbie. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GiL Young said:

So, I pulled the trigger and purchased a Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT, "used/ renewed" sold and shipped by Amazon.com (Prime). I'm very new to all of this having purchased a Celestron 76EQ a few months ago, adding a 2x Barlow and NexYZ smart phone adapter (mainly for a larger viewing device). 

Cool! I have the Nextar 127slt as well 😀

• Like 1

The self-aligning works quite well if you centre the objects correctly. If you live with low light pollution, then the computerised telescope works well with deep sky. You might want to get a 15mm or 12m eyepiece and 2x Barlow lens to have maximum useful magnification. (Also for more people to reply, start a new topic).

Edited by Spacecake2
  • Like 1

On 14/10/2020 at 00:16, GiL Young said:

So, I pulled the trigger and purchased a Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT, "used/ renewed" sold and shipped by Amazon.com (Prime). I'm very new to all of this having purchased a Celestron 76EQ a few months ago, adding a 2x Barlow and NexYZ smart phone adapter (mainly for a larger viewing device). It's been terribly frustrating getting it calibrated to start with among other challenges. I'm located in northeast Pennsylvania surrounded by tall trees and bright streetlights from the NE to the SW and my W to NW view overlooks a light-polluted downtown. My timing was not the best either, having begun this journey just 2 months ago with fall and winter quickly approaching. That adds an extra challenge of the cold weather, even though it makes for clear skies. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I pulled the trigger on the right model as I'm not in a position to invest thousands into a higher end computerized self-aligning telescope. I'd really appreciate your feedback, reassurance, opinions and any other advice you could offer. if there are any other users of this same model out there that might chime in I'd be very grateful. BTW, I did purchase an extra 12 volt AC adapter for it. The first of more accessories to come I'm sure. Thanks so much to all who can help this newbie. 

Hi. I owned a 127mm Newtonian reflector ( same optics as yours has ) and i had some amazing views of planets, stars, and even some Nebs in Orion, and i live in the worst possible location for astronomy, Bortle 9!! ( Basically a scale to indicate how badly light polluted your particular viewing location is, it goes from1, which is the best/darkest skies, all way up to 9, which is the worst, most light polluted skies possible ) So you have a great Telescope and will see some breath-taking sights no matter your location! Best of luck! Wes, Liverpool, UK.

• Like 1