SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY Laser Printed Ronchi Screens?

kbrown

I've been trying to source a piece of a ronchi screen without much luck (in the UK). Either they'll cost an arm and a leg or are just not available. Just wondering if it would make sense to get some high quality laser printable overhead projector transparencies and print your own? I only have a mediocre black and white 2400x600 DPI laser printer. Wonder if that would be good enough say with 100 micron films for anything useable?

2 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Photographic negative copies of Ronchi screens were widely used when film cameras were the rage....

Have you tried a piece of fine fly mesh? That's generally my fall back.

Intriguing idea(s). Thank you. Hmmm :)

600dpi is 42um dots, so if you aim to print the lines in the 600dpi direction, perpendicular to the way the paper feeds, and print screens in 42, 84, 126, 168um lines you should get a usable result.

The way 2400dpi is achieved wont work for printing 10.5um lines, its not really 2400dpi.

3 hours ago, John78 said:

600dpi is 42um dots, so if you aim to print the lines in the 600dpi direction, perpendicular to the way the paper feeds, and print screens in 42, 84, 126, 168um lines you should get a usable result.

The way 2400dpi is achieved wont work for printing 10.5um lines, its not really 2400dpi.

Another factor is the "resolution" of the film itself and how well the toner sticks to it. I thought I'd just give it a go and see what happens. Ordered some 100 micron film sheets. Couldn't find any better for a reasonable price.

I realise on consideration the other (probably better) method, is using PCB printing paper and adhering the toner to glass...

https://coolcomponents.co.uk/products/pcb-toner-transfer-paper?variant=45222872270&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwlID8BRAFEiwAnUoK1eHj7KnvNASDiU4w20kUj6n_DuhFZLxh3x6JABt7iNEtvxpcVAhPYBoC1goQAvD_BwE

Any 600 dpi laser printer should be fine, even a bog standard £40 special can print a toner transfer for even the most ridiculously small legged chips.

This place appears to have them in stock at sensible prices and despite the 1998 looking website it does have a COVID19 notice up so would appear to be in buisness still

http://www.awrtech.co.uk/awr_cat.htm

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2020 at 20:14, John78 said:

This place appears to have them in stock at sensible prices and despite the 1998 looking website it does have a COVID19 notice up so would appear to be in buisness still

http://www.awrtech.co.uk/awr_cat.htm

I contacted Alan at the above website. He said he's got them in stock so I ordered one from him. He accepts paypal. Should arrive in the post soon. Fingers crossed :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this. The ronchi screen arrived. Mounted in a 35mm slide holder. The quality of it looks good but I was a little disappointed the grating was only about half inch square in the middle, not the whole film.

• 2 years later...