Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WO ZS73 Telescope Mounting?

Hello Guys

I have just bought a WO ZS73 refractor and just asking what you guys use a a spacer etc to mount the telescope on top of the supplied Vixen plate to give it more height to enable to  balance a DLSR  when it is attached to the telescope?  I have heard that  when trying to get a good balance the telescope etc it will hit the focuser knob without the extra height?

I used the spacers what was recommended to me, but it looks like an amateurish / heath robinson effort and looks very untidy to say the least.

I will attach a picture to give you an example on what I mean. 

Please can someone give me an idea on what else I can use?

Kind regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

20201007_170514HFG.png

11 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I’ve never needed any spacers to enable my WO ZS73 scope to balance when using a DSLR or a dedicated astronomy camera. I’m not sure what you have heard. 

Hello Terry

Thank you for letting me know that you didn't need any spacers for your telescope. I plan to use my Canon 600D with the twin battery pack attached to my camera, so I was a bit worried about balance etc. Here is a part review from a chap regarding his WO ZS73, I just copied and pasted his remark below. plus I have seen a few other comments about that there is a need to use spacers etc. His is the chaps post - When using a dslr, no declination balance can be achieved, because de dovetail cannot move further back because of the focuslock screw (need a secondary dovetailbar or spacerblocks for the scoperings). 

I will be setting up my telescope indoors today with the flattener, and dslr and will give you a shout on how I get on.

Thanks again for your comments!

Kind regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Edited by hadyn42

I know what he is talking about Hadyn. I have the scope upside down so the rack is on the top. The focuslock screw does not foul anything then.

I also have an autofocuser fitted to mine and that uses the screw hole previously used for the focuslock to secure the bracket to the scope.

• Like 1