SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars perigee 6th Oct 2020

markse68

I was determined to get a look at Mars at its closest approach and remarkably the clouds cleared for me! It was a bit breezy which was a pain- seeing was good but physically unstable. Still, had a good couple of hours out there only quitting when i got too cold. After a long spell of terrible weather this was a much needed and very welcome session!

The S polar cap was barely there but at times appeared to bulge out of the limb a little- probably optical illusion. 

No idea what the dark bits are called- Skysafari isn’t particularly helpful- possibly Terra Cimmeria on the left and Terra Sabaea on the right. 

Colour isn’t right- i need a pink pencil, but the dark patches were really quite blue

840786C3-AB54-4E96-91A7-BD99CFD51931.jpeg

5D26E8D6-902A-49A9-8AAD-DDA08DDB5DD0.jpeg

222592FF-2A68-417B-B4A8-1013732F8602.png

• Like 12

That's a great drawing.  We must have been out at the same time (myself only with a little 4" frac though).  It was quite unstable wasn't it - I tried some lucky imaging which I've yet to process so will be interesting to see.  I couldn't see the polar icecap last night (did manage last week) - not sure if that was the instability or whether I was running lightly lower magnification last night.  I think your sketch also includes Hellas, which I've subsequently learnt is one of the biggest known impact craters in the solar system!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vineyard said:

That's a great drawing.  We must have been out at the same time (myself only with a little 4" frac though).  It was quite unstable wasn't it - I tried some lucky imaging which I've yet to process so will be interesting to see.  I couldn't see the polar icecap last night (did manage last week) - not sure if that was the instability or whether I was running lightly lower magnification last night.  I think your sketch also includes Hellas, which I've subsequently learnt is one of the biggest known impact craters in the solar system!

Hi Vineyard, thanks :) I think the polar cap is pretty tiny now and very close to the limb- i struggled to make it out at first unlike previously where it has popped right out at you. That’s global warming for you 😉 I think you’re right about hellas though I think it was a bit too close to the right limb and I didn’t notice any brightening unlike my last session where it was more central and quite noticeable. I’ll keep an eye out for your images :)

Edited by markse68

Brilliant, good drawing and subsequent analysis as to what exactly was visible on the surface last night. Polar cap was indeed tiny. Began observing as Mars was transiting south, Hellas became prominent and the dark lobes or finger shadings such as Syrtis Minor, mare Cimmerium, an edge of Syrtis Major and Eridania.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...