SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging M33 with Moon

Peart

If you are just getting started on imaging, I wouldn’t let the moon stop you from having a go. Sure, the results on faint objects won’t be great, but you can practice all the  skills such as finding, framing, focusing and tracking.

Clear sky of any description is just too precious a resource to pass by in the UK.

Working on sub optimal data pushes your processing skills too!

• Like 2

I've been struggling with this too, and with the potential for clear skies tonight, thought I'd ask if there's anything in particular that should work better in moonlight, or is it just about imaging as far away from the moon as possible and choosing the brightest object?

I've had good success with the the dumbbell nebula on a relatively moonlit night, but M33 and to a lesser extent M31, were both poor. Last week I got 2 hours on the North American Nebula when the moon was almost 100% and there was less in that stack than from a 10 minute shot without the moon.