SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Apps for naming Martian surface detail?

Hi,

I was observing and imaging Mars yesterday. Are there any recommendations of apps that name the surface features? I have Sky Safari but it just seems to display an image of the planet at the  particular time.

Thanks for any guidance!

Peter

3 hours ago, AstroTim said:

You can configure SkySafari to show feature names 

Settings->Display Options->Solar System

Then you can toggle on/off Surface Labels in the Planets and Moon section

Mars Mapper is another useful tool

http://www.nightskies.net/mars/mars.html

Tim

Thanks. I went into settings and selected 'with Surfaces' and 'with Names' (plus the others) but my app still doesn't show any names.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still the same. 

I'll contact the developers with my phone details and see if it's a known issue.IMG_20201006_145334.thumb.png.de840bdc8903e2a7f18f501bcf81090c.png

8 hours ago, Peter_D said:

I went into settings and selected 'with Surfaces' and 'with Names'

The option I set was “with Surface Labels”, although I know you said you tried the other options too.

Which SkySafari version are you using? I have the Pro version but the labels are also available in the Plus version according to the developer web site. If you don’t have one of those versions then the Pro and Plus versions are frequently on offer, so worth waiting a few weeks if currently full price.

Tim

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AstroTim said:

The option I set was “with Surface Labels”, although I know you said you tried the other options too.

Which SkySafari version are you using? I have the Pro version but the labels are also available in the Plus version according to the developer web site. If you don’t have one of those versions then the Pro and Plus versions are frequently on offer, so worth waiting a few weeks if currently full price.

Tim

Ah ok, thanks. I just have the free version. Version 6.7.0.8. I suppose that is the issue, they are only visible on paid for versions but the interface controls are not disabled in the free version.