Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Swinton

randomic

Hello everyone,

I've always wanted my own telescope ever since studying physics. ~10 years on, and thanks in some part to not being able to go out and spend money right now, I finally have the disposable income to get stuck right in. Bought an HEQ5 Pro (felt like the last one in the entire country at the time) and an EdgeHD 800.

After spending the first few clear nights getting to grips with the kit visually (the Baader Hyperion zoom eyepiece is wonderful) and integrating an old raspberry pi for remote control I cobbled together all the various adapters and attached a Nikon D3100. Had a great night collecting data from M13 and fiddled around in DSS/StarTools to get a result that I'm pretty happy with. I also captured around 45 mins of data of M33 however it was all but ruined by dew 🙃

I've also got an ASI 462mc coming, hopefully in time for Mars' opposition, so looking forward to getting some shots of that in infrared.

Hope everyone's well and safe and clear skies!

Jay

Target: M13 (The great cluster in Hercules)
Data: 49x 60s, Sky brightness around mag 18.8 (probably a bit worse due to the full moon)
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro (unmodded, unguided)
OTA: Celestron EdgeHD 800
Sensor: Nikon D3100 (1600 ISO)
astrometry.net upload: https://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/4042276

M_13_2020-10-01.png
P.S. Can you spot IC 4617?

Edited by randomic
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

Welcome to the lounge. I'm just outside Swindon myself. Good to see someone local joining this amazing site 

Swinton, I'm afraid, a little further away 😁; suburb near Manchester