Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sites

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but if anyone would like to go to Dark Sites, in Devon, possibly Dartmoor, then please join the Devon and Cornwall club on here. I'd like to get involved, although socially distanced, with dark site visiting, but would feel a lot safer and less bored (AP schedules through the night) with likeminded company!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2020 at 17:23, gilesco said:

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but if anyone would like to go to Dark Sites, in Devon, possibly Dartmoor, then please join the Devon and Cornwall club on here. I'd like to get involved, although socially distanced, with dark site visiting, but would feel a lot safer and less bored (AP schedules through the night) with likeminded company!!

Hi there Currently Bristol based but still intending to move to Plymouth area soon, Covid and career options dependent! Definitely interested in quality dark sky locations on Dartmoor and around 😃

I'm thinking maybe one of the carparks on the B3387, past Haytor coming from the east, not sure from the camping maps how far we need to venture from the car... don't want to have to go too far, also don't want headlights of passing cars (not much traffic at night though?) to interfere...

• 1 month later...

Lightpollutionmap.info is a very good resource (how I hate that word apols). The way to use it is to set the overlay to Atlas 2015. It’s a simulation of how the darkness will appear at zenith at best to an observer on the ground. I’ve calibrated it to two very different places, one 19.0 and one 21.8, and they’re both spot on with that overlay.

The other overlays are views of how bright it looks from the satellite, a different thing.

Cheers Magnus

On 03/12/2020 at 17:43, Andy ES said:

Gfamily, 

Thanks for the link to the light pollution map.

looks like I’ll be heading for the Dengie peninsular in Essex.

I wonder if anyone knows any good areas in this location.

Thanks

The carpark for Dengie Nature Reserve is a good spot to go as there isn't much around it. Although if Bradwell B gets built then we are likely to lose that location.

Some of the other Essex members have spoken about Margaret Roding, but I don't know where in particular they go

That's the one. It's near St. Peter's church which is on the coast. You can see the lights of Brightlingsea and Jaywick from there, but they are not really a problem

When the local clubs are able to start running observing nights again they use places like Abberton Resevoir and Great Notley Country Park, but I don't know about non-club access (not been to any of the local clubs yet). And I believe there are a couple of other sites used

Had a walk out on the sea wall on the other side of the chapel with my Mrs today.

Wow talk about big skys, I know Essex is flat but it’s like being in a 2D world !

looking forward to getting out there, (when I get a telescope).

hope celestron can make one soon.

Cheers

• Like 1