Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars will be hugging the Moon all night tonight!!!

If it wasn’t for the clouds and preciptation I would be enjoying the view as well. 🙁

Oh well enjoy your clear skies tonight then. 👍🏻

I’ll have to settle for the views in my planetarium app. 🙂

E02299F3-5D9E-4D2F-9B4F-F773279FEA1C.png

Edited by johninderby

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’ll have to settle for the views in my planetarium app. 🙂

at least there will be no need to fiddle with focus and getting more mag will be a simple pinch-to-zoom for hubble-like views 😉 

I'm very lucky where iI am, Blue Ridge Mountains, it's meant to be clear tonight and tomorrow. Saying that. it was clear the other eveningf and it was the worst seeing I've ever seen.

I thought the Moon being that close to Mars might wash Mars' light out but if you think it's worth a look I'll get Cubble & Celeste out and see what we can see.  

• Like 1

Just driving home from work and the clouds parted for a very clear view of the Moon and Mars.... Outstanding view! I wish I had my telescope with me.... 
Typically, now I am home, the clouds are rolling in again.

Well, at least I got to see it... Proper goosebumps lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RossHicksPhoto said:

Excuse the blurry moon... this was the best I could do through my living room window by hand using my 70-300mm lens.

Mars and Moon.jpg

Hi Ross 

Great image, I'm getting to learn my canon 450d with my tamron 70-300mm lens, what settings did you use for your image 

Kind regards 

Lee 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, globular said:

How was it @StarGazingSiouxsie?

Hi,

Well, the seeing was definitely better than the (seemingly) exact same conditions of a few nights back when the seeing was shocking. It was clear tonight, like the other night, but the difference was the wind was from the NNE instead of the SW and it seemed to make a big difference. The planets had only mild visual turbulence effects instead of looking like they were being held under a running tap.

Got some reasonabvle views of Mars through Cubs using a 12mm eyepiece ( 230X @ F10 ) with an 80a blue filter stacked onto a generic Moon & Skyglow filter. I find this combo works really well for Mars. I was able to observe the Southern Polar Cap and good definition of maria and other geographic features. Viewing the Moon was also very good using that combination of filters.

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie
  • Like 3

Sounds good. And as predicted by John and Peter too.  I wonder why being close makes a difference? Anyone know the science behind it?

I used an 80a blue on Mars a few nights ago (I was trying lots of filter combinations) and agree it helps to highlight the darker features.  Looks a bit unnatural but does help with my sketching and I made a note to use it again on Mars.  I also found a green helps highlight lighter areas and yellow a bit of everything.

I just hope the weather improves here before too much longer.... I NEED to get back out there. 

21 hours ago, John said:

If only it was clear !

When planets have been close to the Moon I've found them outstanding to observe.

I almost didn't bother setting up for that reason: too close, glared out. I'm glad I resisted and did set up, Mars was good. Thanks for your insight.

M

On 03/10/2020 at 13:13, LeeHore7 said:

Hi Ross 

Great image, I'm getting to learn my canon 450d with my tamron 70-300mm lens, what settings did you use for your image 

Kind regards 

Lee 

To be honest... For this shot I just had the camera in auto... I know that is cheating but I could see the clouds rolling in so I wanted to get what I could, fast... hence handheld and blurry. This was even taken through my living room window haha

• Like 1

On 03/10/2020 at 19:04, Captain Magenta said:

It was beautiful and clear for me last night. I spent most of the time observing through my Skymax 180 but couldn't resist at the end of the evening grabbing my DSLR/telephoto to get this, around 1am:

_S7A5111_20201002_MoonandMars.thumb.jpg.1876cd0b21bb928eb59eae200b82d583.jpg

Cheers, Magnus

Wow! Beautiful image! What lens / camera body was this using? 
I struggled to get a decent focus on my shot (above) as the clouds were rolling in fast and I was shooting by hand. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RossHicksPhoto said:

Wow! Beautiful image! What lens / camera body was this using? 
I struggled to get a decent focus on my shot (above) as the clouds were rolling in fast and I was shooting by hand. 

Thanks. It was a Canon EOS 7Dmk2 with 300mm f/2.8 lens and 1.4x converter, making it 420mm f/4.0 . 1/2000s f/4.0 ISO400 was the exposure, shot as RAW. The Moon was bright enough that autofocus was fine, and it was hand-held. IIRC I used auto-exposure but under-exposed by the auto measure by a couple of stops, I find that allows the best dynamic range for images including very bright objects such as Moonshots or sunsets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RossHicksPhoto said:

To be honest... For this shot I just had the camera in auto... I know that is cheating but I could see the clouds rolling in so I wanted to get what I could, fast... hence handheld and blurry. This was even taken through my living room window haha

It's still a great image and I've got some good images through a window before of the moon and planets 

• Like 1