SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dessicant.

Greymouser

I needed some more dessicant, to help protect optics, so looked on Amazon, to see what can be found. I found these. A little cheaper than FLO, with next day delivery, which was I thought needed, so I got them from there. I wish I hadn't, wish I had ordered from FlO, but was afraid the temptation to buy other stuff from them would be too great! :rolleyes2:

Here are two pics of two pouchs of the dessicant:

1926392135_IMG_20201001_210051_0-Copy.thumb.jpg.cb490c4293f8d8df0ce0fd49be20c944.jpg123953521_IMG_20201001_210140_6-Copy.thumb.jpg.11a3e36f8dc515611c03f6f28e28e5bc.jpg

Not much difference in the pouchs is there? Yet the are self indicating, should change colour as the absorb moisture. Not sure why, but to be sure I thought I would test them, just to see how effective the were. One of them has been on the window sill in a very damp bathroom for over 72 hours, the other stayed in its bag. Can you guess which is which? Neither can I and they cannot be trusted, they are rubbish, a little patience would have gone a long way with this...  

Ah well leson learned I guess, buy from a trusted retailer, suppose I should start a return... :undecided:

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, markse68 said:

I think you can and probably did but ones without the colour indicator- they still work just don’t tell you when they’re “full”

These are allegedly colour changing, yet do not, There is no way I want to risk them being rubbish with such expensive gear neading protecting. Woudl you use them? Or would you get rid and buy reliable ones from FLO? ( Even if that means stretching the credit card again, as I buy other stuff as well... :rolleyes2:)

I’d send them back or ask for refund  if they were advertised as colour changing and ask them to send the correct type- did they sell both types? Maybe they got them mixed up. You do really need the colour changing ones if reusing them like we do. I did read somewhere possibly that the old blue dye they used had been banned and the new colour is a yellow orange i think- could it be that they actually are indicating? Have you tried drying one to see if it changes the other way?

Mark

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

I saw those on amazon a few days ago too and nearly pulled the trigger... then I though about the chemicals they might have put in them and the cheap casing that might split... and figured that FLO will make sure theirs are scope safe so why risk my expensive kit for the sake of saving a couple of pounds.
And then, while I'm ordering from FLO anyway, I may as well get.......

• Like 1

There are a couple of dark brown crystals visible in your image, maybe 72 hours is too soon ?

My crystals are in a Lock-and-Lock box where my 6D goes after every outing, they take weeks to go dark brown, and give up a lot of moisture when they are "cooked".

Michael

As far as I can see, both the used and non used are identical. I haver gone with a refund from Amazon, which, as ever, was painless, as it id just not worth the risk.

It should be safe enough to get some from FLO, because most of what else I might want from them is out of stock anyway! :rolleyes2:

I have used the same from Amazon but to keep plastic filament for 3D printer dry so not as critical. For sure the crystals in both pictures look saturated or near saturated. When dry they do noticeably change colour to bright yellow not the green in those pictures. But as you say your equipment is expensive so better to be sure.

Steve

2 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

When dry they do noticeably change colour to bright yellow not the green in those pictures

I have no idea. They came that colour in sealed double wrapped bags. They did not change colour at all and some of them are white, some of the particles/spheres yellow. The picture is poor, sorry. I can only go off the ones previously bought from FLO, which though quite dark to start with went much darker, quite quickly. They also were renewed to lighter than the start with a spell in the oven.

I should have been more patient and ordered from a known reliable source. ( FLO! ) The lack of reviews should have been a warning sign.

Most of the crystals are white only a small amount are yellow that turn green. One of my complaints to the sellers was that not enough colored crystals were  in them. Even in double wrapped bags the desiccant will absorb moisture if left in there long enough so suspect they are old stock anyway. I still think you have done right to get the refund as there is nothing worse than being worried about your gear, peace of mind is worth that bit extra. If you need some desperately I can dry some out and send then to you if you PM me (I have others different to the ones you got as well 🙂 )

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the offer, but I do have some others, got from FLO that just needed drying out. Now done. I was just looking to expand the quantity I had, to give more time between drying out.  As I said, I should have been more patient. Still lesson learned. :embarassed:

Edited by Greymouser
  • Like 1

Took my skycam-2 apart today to swap a webcam in for the cctv module I originally installed. The dessicant pack had certainly done its work well as you can see here
image.png.4d4d7cfaacfaf780f65370712a85f5be.png

top one is the used, had been in there for some time but no sign of moisture in the casing at all after quite some time and no condensation issues with that camera/dome. Replaced with 2 new ones on reassembly which will hopefully do as good a job.