Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bresser MC-127 for Planetary Imaging?

AndyThilo

I see from your signature that you already have a Celestron Edge HD 8".  That would make a better planetary imaging scope.  Aperture rules with planetary imaging.  The only exception is that if the seeing is really bad, the smaller 'scope woud perform less badly.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I used to have a Skymax 127 Mak-Cass and it worked quite well for planetary imaging. I have the same camera, also an ADC and a x2.25 Baader barlow. That was a nice setup. The Skymax has a FL=1500 and the Bresser an FL=1900. So with your powermate you would get even more FL than I had. Here is a shot of Venus so you can see what would be possible.

v07042020_1908.thumb.png.859eec55761f95ea9ef9bcd4daf4ae35.png

Sold the 127 Mak this spring and upgraded to a 180 Mak, so I don't have any Jupiter/Mars/Saturn images at hand. The 127 did work well on planetary nebula as well:

NGC6720_M57_24042020_2225.thumb.png.4d2b359dc80d75b1b82ff9c4e34527f6.png

Hope this helps,

Clear Skies!

Edited by alex_stars

I used to have the Bresser 127 mak and found it to be an excellent performer. One thing to note the Bresser is actually 127mm aperture whereas the Skymax is about 118mm aperture so the Bresser gives a little bit better resolution.

Now replaced with a Bresser 100 mak as my portable grab’n’go setup. Just that much smaller and lighter.

Edited by johninderby