Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

TareqPhoto

Which LRGB filters set?

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

As the title said, very simple, which RGB filters set to buy? There are many, and most are good anyway, but i want to buy something and never look back, everyone will recommend something and swear by it, but i can't say what will be my experience or impression about it, so i want to make sure that i have one set that will last for years and no issues, and i am under Bortle 7/8 sky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you want to do with the filters and what scope and camera do you have? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very happy with the Baaders. I'd go upmarket for Astrodon or Chroma for narrowband but not for LRGB. (Unless I were using an ustra-fast optical system, which I'm very unlikely to do!)

Olly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for Baader filters. I have 2 sets of 2” Badder filters and am happy with them at my level and stage of imaging. I would recommend going for 2” units if you want longevity as they will support a good range of sensor sizes. Unless you need all seven filters in one wheel, then 1-1/4 will work provided it supports your camera sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Baader LRGB set all parafocal and have done me proud. I also have the Baader 7nm SII, Ha & OIII filters again parafocal and performing well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1  for Baader LRGB filters. There are more expensive sets but does the additional outlay  translate into better data? I have not seen any evidence of this.

Narrowband is a different story, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jambouk said:

What do you want to do with the filters and what scope and camera do you have? 

Of course to do LRGB imaging.

For now i have ST80, 8" F/5 Newt and 6" F/4 Newt, i ordered a triplet 90mm but that will be available and shipped next year.

Camera i have QHY163M and ASI1600MM-C Pro also for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm very happy with the Baaders. I'd go upmarket for Astrodon or Chroma for narrowband but not for LRGB. (Unless I were using an ustra-fast optical system, which I'm very unlikely to do!)

Olly

Actually, i want that LRGB filters set inside filter wheel next to Astrodon Ha 5nm and Chroma OIII/SII 3nm all 1.25" sizes, but i always take all people reviews or experiences, someone who is using Astrodon for years just recently gave up his Astrodon and stayed with Astronomik for one setup he has, he said it gave him better dealing with colors than Astrodon, he is good imagers, i don't think he is doing a mistake to give up Astrodon without a reason and i can't say it is only his fault and not filters, but i want to learn more as i don't want to end up paying more for not so much gain anyway, Chroma is less than Astrodon these days and they are both in same level of quality, but to have another set to par with them and even cheaper than both?!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

+1 for Baader filters. I have 2 sets of 2” Badder filters and am happy with them at my level and stage of imaging. I would recommend going for 2” units if you want longevity as they will support a good range of sensor sizes. Unless you need all seven filters in one wheel, then 1-1/4 will work provided it supports your camera sensor.

I can say i am happy with my set also, but that is not a fact then, i think all LRGB sets mostly are good, even new ZWO LRGB filters, but i try to keep that statement aside for choices.

Yes, i have Astrodon/Chroma in filter wheel with 1-1/4 size, so want to complete it with LRGB at same size too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dazza1639 said:

I have the Baader LRGB set all parafocal and have done me proud. I also have the Baader 7nm SII, Ha & OIII filters again parafocal and performing well.

Good for you, i have Astrodon/Chroma Ha/OIII/SII set in the filter wheel, so i hope to get good LRGB set too, Baader is nice, or same my NB will be also nice, Astronomik and Optolong aer nice too, so as i said, everyone will swear about what they are using in hand because they didn't use different brands, i have 2 sets of the same maker, and both are nice, but one set is complete at 36mm with NB too, and another set it is for planetary only and it is doing great, now i only one one last set for my 1-1/4 NB set i have, and i keep thinking about trying something else than what i already have although it is great, and for now the only three in my mind are: Astrodon, Chroma and Astronomik, there is one new maker in the marker, but i am not thinking about their LRGB set, i will go with their NB set i believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomato said:

+1  for Baader LRGB filters. There are more expensive sets but does the additional outlay  translate into better data? I have not seen any evidence of this.

Narrowband is a different story, however.

That is exactly why i asked, for narrowbanding i already completed the set of NB with Astrodon/Chroma Ha/OIII/SII, so now only left LRGB, and i can see that all LRGB brands or makers are doing great these days really, so i don't want to pay more and not have that difference in cost performance really, my scopes are getting better by the time so that will definitely hide the difference really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silly question... but does anyone know if the Baader CCD filters are complemented by a set of CMOS ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Silly question... but does anyone know if the Baader CCD filters are complemented by a set of CMOS ones?

Not silly question, but i didn't or couldn't understand it, hope others can and answer it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Silly question... but does anyone know if the Baader CCD filters are complemented by a set of CMOS ones?

Stating CCD is just their way of saying for imaging and distinguishing them from visual filters. No need for CMOS specific ones.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All LRGB will cut IR / UV except the weird IDAS type 4 which in addition to having red sensitivity in the deep blue (To mimic the eye's violet response) has multiple IR bands, so needing an IR block for normal LRGB imaging, but can be used for IR imaging.

The main differences look to be overlap or gaps between the bands, and how far into the blue / UV the blue filter extends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaveS said:

All LRGB will cut IR / UV except the weird IDAS type 4 which in addition to having red sensitivity in the deep blue (To mimic the eye's violet response) has multiple IR bands, so needing an IR block for normal LRGB imaging, but can be used for IR imaging.

The main differences look to be overlap or gaps between the bands, and how far into the blue / UV the blue filter extends.

That is one main reason i ask, because it sounds there is a filter set that has a gap between two bands maybe, and another filter set that has less extended into blue/UV bands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 'right' filters can also be dependent on what you are imaging with.  If you have a purely reflective system (RC/CC etc) then you can go with wider pass band filters even if you have a blue sensitive camera.  On the other hand if you have not the greatest corrected refractor and a blue sensitive camera then you would want to have a narrower passband set of filters to reduce issues with blue halos etc. 

The slight differences in pass bands will also effect the colour of any image.  I note the comment on Astrodon filters but they specifically designed these so that they were naturally 'white' for G2V for interline / full frame Kodak CCDs.  For any other camera images should be calibrated against a G2V to get the right proportions for these same colours.  The same goes for Chroma/Baader/Astronomik etc. However out of the box some may be more natural than others with certain cameras. 

Finally you should take into account how you are intending to guide.  If you use varying filter manufacturers with filters of the different thicknesses then you will need to refocus for each filter.  If you are using an OAG then this could push the OAG to being out of focus depending on the focal ratio of the telescope (so an F3 system might be way out compared to an F12 etc). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.