Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7023 Iris Nebula

myk68

Hi

Long time since Ive posted but thought I'd see what you guys think of this.

SW ED80DS with ASI533Pro, 60 2 minute subs, dark, flat, bias done.  Then processed with Pixinsight trial to see if I like it. talk about learning curve...

NGC7023_IrisNebula_60x2m_FullyProcessed.thumb.jpg.6f17ead4acf0127cbee0ce9ec4cbe471.jpg

I wanted the dark a bit darker but the detail starts to go too.

Thanks for looking

Myk

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

There is a hint of colour here but no more than a hint. I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Could you comment on filters, OSC, etc?

Olly

Hi Olly,

The ASI533 is a OSC. No mono version available, but yes, what filters was the OP using ?

John

• Like 1

6 hours ago, myk68 said:

Hi

Long time since Ive posted but thought I'd see what you guys think of this.

SW ED80DS with ASI533Pro, 60 2 minute subs, dark, flat, bias done.  Then processed with Pixinsight trial to see if I like it. talk about learning curve...

NGC7023_IrisNebula_60x2m_FullyProcessed.thumb.jpg.6f17ead4acf0127cbee0ce9ec4cbe471.jpg

I wanted the dark a bit darker but the detail starts to go too.

Thanks for looking

Myk

After you made it none linear, did you try increasing saturation in curves ? as Olly said, there is a hint of color there.

John

Hi All

48 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

There is a hint of colour here but no more than a hint. I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Could you comment on filters, OSC, etc?

Olly

yes the ZWO ASI533MC Pro is a OSC, the only filter is the Optilon L-Pro.  

this comes out very green so I then linear fit the RGB to Red as the lowest Median, from a video I was watching to work it.

41 minutes ago, johngm said:

After you made it none linear, did you try increasing saturation in curves ? as Olly said, there is a hint of color there.

John

Hi John

I tried to increase the saturation but it started to come out more pink/purple that anything else and I didnt like it so didnt apply it. couldnt get any colour out of the clouds, maybe need more Subs

44 minutes ago, gorann said:

Has the image been debayered?

Hi Gorann

process was Blinked then calibrated then cosmetic correction then Debayered.  then mesured and aligned before stacking/integration

Is that wrong somewhere

12 minutes ago, myk68 said:

Hi All

this comes out very green so I then linear fit the RGB to Red as the lowest Median, from a video I was watching to work it.

Hi John

I tried to increase the saturation but it started to come out more pink/purple that anything else and I didnt like it so didnt apply it. couldnt get any colour out of the clouds, maybe need more Subs

Hi Gorann

process was Blinked then calibrated then cosmetic correction then Debayered.  then mesured and aligned before stacking/integration

Is that wrong somewhere

In Curves, make sure you have the preview on, then tweak the individual rgb channels until you get the right colour balance until you are happy, before applying it to the image. Also, run SCNR before tweaking the curves to remove the green colour cast

John 

18 minutes ago, myk68 said:

Hi All

Hi John

Hi Gorann

Is that wrong somewhere

I use PI for this so I do not know what Blinked is. In PI the sequence is calibrate (with darks, flats etc) then debayer, then star align, then finally stack (called image integration in PI), and it seems you did it in that sequence so it should be ok.

Assuming the calibration and debayering have been done in the right order, we have to wonder if the filter isn't killing the colour. However, I think you may have overdone the reduction in green because the little colour we can see in the Iris itself is magenta - which is what happens to blues when the green is too low. In reality the target is a very vivid blue, quite high in the cyans.

Olly

I suggest you upload a raw sub here and someone can have a look at it. In that way we may find out if something odd is happening when you make the stack, or if the colour signal reaching your camera for some reason is very weak.

2 hours ago, gorann said:

I suggest you upload a raw sub here and someone can have a look at it. In that way we may find out if something odd is happening when you make the stack, or if the colour signal reaching your camera for some reason is very weak.

Just what I was thinking Gorann.  Here you all go.

4 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

This was also taken with an ASI533 with just an IR filter. I can't see how an L-Pro filter would have reduced the colour so much.

Peter

Iris_Nebula_revised.jpg

That's beautiful Peter

NGC7023_IrisNebula_60x2m_unstretched.fit

So here is my rework with a few hints and tips from City9Town0. But also from all o f your comments.  Much thanks

maybe I was being to gentle with my colour stretching. hopefully this is better

NGC7023IrisNeb_LFtG60x2colourstretch.thumb.jpg.33bbce88e51ad5ffd08807760e3ffe91.jpg

• Like 1