SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars, which filter?

toshapetriji

Filters have long divided opinion,Im not too sure about them I tend to not use them as I cant usually detect any conclusive benifit ,plus I prefer the natural hues of the planets. I get your point about the brightness of Mars at the moment so an Neutral Density filter will help. I had some success recently in mediocre seeing with a ND filter and a 80A blue filter stacked which seemed to cut down glare and marginally improved the contrast of the surface markings and sharpen the ice cap.

I suppose others will have their own ideas but why not experiment with your own filter combination without over using them too much as in some conditions they may hamper rather than help things.

• Thanks 1

As Les says above, filters divide opinions so you'll probably get lots of conflicting advice.

There is a useful tutorial on filters on the BAA website this is for the moon and planets generally but I found it helpful.

https://britastro.org/taxonomy/term/147

I'm only using an 80, 100 or 120mm refractor so don't tend to use the darker filters, but I am getting good results with either a Baader Neodymium or Baader Contrast Booster filter.

These filters are very similar but some nights I find the Neodymium works best, whilst other nights I'm happier with the Contrast Booster.

There has been some discussion recently, but I can't remember which thread it was in.

Possibly this one.

A good write up by Bill Paolini here as well.

Also a useful guide here.

http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/jbeish/Observing_Mars_7.html

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by AdeKing
Another link added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used filters for viewing planets and the jury is out for me.  I think they could make a difference for certain people under certain conditions if doing some really critical observing over an extended period, but so far for me, not really definitive.

This is an excellent guide: https://agenaastro.com/articles/guides/visual-and-imaging-filters/choosing-a-color-planetary-filter.html

It appears to particularly recommend the following filters for Mars:

• #12 Yellow - Good for Maria, Atmospheric clouds
  • #23A Light Red - Maria and surface, Dust clouds, Polar caps

The first one has 75% transmission and is good for smaller scopes, the latter has only 25% transmission so better for 6" and above. 

Edit: Having just read the linked article by Bill Paolini, I feel there is little point in reading the information I linked to above! 

Edited by RobertI

• 1 month later...