Narrowband

Pelican -L-enhance

mackiedlm

Continuing with the too rare run of clear nights I had both rigs out at the week-end. But of course the moon is getting bright. While the LX200 was clunking away on the Bubble in Ha , I set the 80ED with L-enhance to the Pelican and hit go. It ran for 7 hours and even did perfect Automated meridian Flip. :dance: Then when I went to do my flats in the morning I see the lens covered in condensation!!!! I had failed to turn on the dew heater :angry-banghead:

I managed to use the first 2 hours of images consigning FIVE HOURS to the bin :twitch: So its really a bit noisier than I had hoped for.

So
SW 80ED, NEQ6, EOS700Da, L-enhance
28 (hear me sob) X 240s ISO800
Pelican_EX_PI_PS.thumb.png.690ed05e014f5e6dd699060b63c3c02c.png

Edited by mackiedlm
  • Like 3

We all have similar tales to tell! What you do know is that with more data you'll get a really great result.

For me the green needs attention since it's rather high both in the dark dust and the stellar cores. Not a difficult adjustment, though.

Olly

36 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

We all have similar tales to tell! What you do know is that with more data you'll get a really great result.

For me the green needs attention since it's rather high both in the dark dust and the stellar cores. Not a difficult adjustment, though.

Olly

Thanks so much for that @ollypenrice. I have to admit I had not even seen the green until you pointed it out.

I took it back to Pixinsight (in which i am a true beginner) and ran SCNR but that made things much worse! Also tried HLVG in Photoshop - also worse. So I manually balanced it in levels - the blue needed to be brought down too - giving the image below. I am not experienced enough to really say if this is better - its brought out much more red in the background - possible too much? Would you suggest a different method to sdjust the green?

Thanks again for the advice.

Pelican_EX_PI_PS_GR.thumb.png.77bc46258d787324e512492b05c756e4.png

SCNR green has always worked well for me. Did you try the slider at various settings?

The method you used in Ps was OK and I got a similar result, maybe using a slightly different technique. In Ps I opened the histogram in All Channel View and moved the black point slider (per channel in Levels) to the right to align the top left of the blue peak with the green, as below. I don't know why the red historgram has this strange form. But the idea was to use the black point slider to get the top left of each peak aligned. I also brought the black point in in red as well. That's probably the biggest difference between yours and mine.

1743971448_greenpelicanhistobalance.JPG.eba3978c38f8ba803db5993eb542ce9b.JPG

Feeling the bright star was a bit green, still, I did a further tweak in colour balance adjusting the highlights.

1579692452_greenpelicanhistobalance2.JPG.e8babe09c3b9bf51ec4a27e31f432622.JPG

Marginal difference.

I think we can expect the L-enhance filter to bring down the blue channel because OIII only passes the greenest blues and H-Beta is blue but very faint and is given out only by those gasses also shining in Ha. Broadband blue is blocked, if I have this right.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1

That's a good looking pelican! I had a short look at that while waiting for Pacman to clear the trees on Saturday, it's still on the queue for processing. 

Shame about the dew heater, you don't get away without one around here! I'm not big into to-do lists, but the APT check-lists are useful for the last-minute reminders in the early hours 🥱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

SCNR green has always worked well for me. Did you try the slider at various settings?

The method you used in Ps was OK and I got a similar result, maybe using a slightly different technique. In Ps I opened the histogram in All Channel View and moved the black point slider (per channel in Levels) to the right to align the top left of the blue peak with the green, as below. I don't know why the red historgram has this strange form. But the idea was to use the black point slider to get the top left of each peak aligned. I also brought the black point in in red as well. That's probably the biggest difference between yours and mine.

Feeling the bright star was a bit green, still, I did a further tweak in colour balance adjusting the highlights.Marginal difference.

I think we can expect the L-enhance filter to bring down the blue channel because OIII only passes the greenest blues and H-Beta is blue but very faint and is given out only by those gasses also shining in Ha. Broadband blue is blocked, if I have this right.

Olly

Thanks for taking the time at that. I did try the sliders in SCNR but it was looking awful. I have used SCNR on other images to great effect.

In PS I just put a sample point in the background and adjusted green and blue channels - your way looks more flexible- I'll try it.