SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Photographing planets

10-7

hi all

i have another rookie question. I was just watching a utube channel, astronomars  where he used a non goto scope to take his photo's. The scope was a 10" dob.the photos were 30 40 1 to 5 sec exposures. I would lie to know how to do this without a tacking or goto mount ?

thanks in advance

Ken

In my opinion that was not the best way to image the planets - are you sure he wasn't imaging Deep Sky Objects such as Galaxies ?

Because Dobsonians are usually short focal length, for viewing faint objects like Galaxies, whereas Planetary scopes are usually long focal length, to give high "magnification" of bright planets.

Planets are best imaged in video mode, where ideally thousands of frames are shot at 50 to 100 frames per second or more.

Then stacking software is used to discard all the frames where atmospherics have degraded the image, leaving only the frames with "near-perfect" viewing.

With a non-tracking Dobsonian there would only be a short period of time where the planet would be in the field of view.

Michael

21 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

In my opinion that was not the best way to image the planets - are you sure he wasn't imaging Deep Sky Objects such as Galaxies ?

Because Dobsonians are usually short focal length, for viewing faint objects like Galaxies, whereas Planetary scopes are usually long focal length, to give high "magnification" of bright planets.

Planets are best imaged in video mode, where ideally thousands of frames are shot at 50 to 100 frames per second or more.

Then stacking software is used to discard all the frames where atmospherics have degraded the image, leaving only the frames with "near-perfect" viewing.

With a non-tracking Dobsonian there would only be a short period of time where the planet would be in the field of view.

Michael

He did both I now you mentioned it I bet the planets were video, I'm such a rookie  🤣