Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie question: polarscope

In case anyone is interested I managed to fix it! 

Looks like the scope came a bit broken (it’s 2nd hand) - I turned the focus until it came off and saw that the reticle was stuck to it and that’s why it wasn’t coming into focus, since as I turned the focuser it wasn’t travelling away from the reticle 😂

I’ve ordered some new knurled thumb screws, turns out the ones in the pic get stopped by the outer plastic rim before they can hold the reticle in place!

Thank you everyone for all your help!!

17 hours ago, isabe said:

That’s the problem I’m having, so hard to calibrate... It’s a skywatcher eq3-2 polarscope, I’m really confused lol

I have the HEQ5-Pro and the Polarscope is similar. As others have said yours may not have the built-in light to illuminate the reticle, but otherwise the same. You should be able to see the reticle in daylight! Be careful when you rotate the polarscope eyepiece. If you overdo it and remove the eyepiece, the reticle is likely to fall out into your hands. As you bought the polarscope separately and attached it yourself, I would suggest you remove it from the scope and that way you can easily point it at bright lights to see the reticle, get it into focus etc. Once that is done you can install it back into the scope and then do the alignment.

I had written an FAQ when I went through this journey myself and its here ...

Good luck.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

I have the HEQ5-Pro and the Polarscope is similar. As others have said yours may not have the built-in light to illuminate the reticle, but otherwise the same. You should be able to see the reticle in daylight! Be careful when you rotate the polarscope eyepiece. If you overdo it and remove the eyepiece, the reticle is likely to fall out into your hands. As you bought the polarscope separately and attached it yourself, I would suggest you remove it from the scope and that way you can easily point it at bright lights to see the reticle, get it into focus etc. Once that is done you can install it back into the scope and then do the alignment.

I had written an FAQ when I went through this journey myself and its here ...

Good luck.

Cheers that looks like a really useful faq! I think I’ve sorted it now 👍

54 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Great news. What did you do to fix it? That info would benefit others who maybe in similar situations.

5 hours ago, isabe said:

In case anyone is interested I managed to fix it! 

Looks like the scope came a bit broken (it’s 2nd hand) - I turned the focus until it came off and saw that the reticle was stuck to it and that’s why it wasn’t coming into focus, since as I turned the focuser it wasn’t travelling away from the reticle 😂

I’ve ordered some new knurled thumb screws, turns out the ones in the pic get stopped by the outer plastic rim before they can hold the reticle in place!

Thank you everyone for all your help!!

see the post at the top of the page! Happy to have an answer now 👍

9 minutes ago, isabe said:

see the post at the top of the page! Happy to have an answer now 👍

Sorry missed that. Good luck with getting the reticle back in place and held flat. I had to use a pair of dividers from my kids compass box to hold it it place while I adjusted the screws to centre it. Mine has the tiny grub screws so harder to get hold of :)

27 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Sorry missed that. Good luck with getting the reticle back in place and held flat. I had to use a pair of dividers from my kids compass box to hold it it place while I adjusted the screws to centre it. Mine has the tiny grub screws so harder to get hold of :)

17 minutes ago, Neil H said:

You should be able to remove it completely  take polar scope out so your not fighting the fittings in the mount then try and unscrew focuser if it does not send it back as a faulty one 

Thanks everyone for the tips!