Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

isabe

Newbie question: polarscope

Recommended Posts

Hi 

Im new to astrophotography and just recently got a polar scope. I’m a bit confused because when I look through it there are no markings visible (in broad daylight), and I’ve seen other people’s scopes and the NCP and polaris orbit drawing is clearly visible when they look through. 

Its making it difficult to calibrate it and have been relying on shining a red torch down the lens in order to see it.

It is a skywatcher eq3-2 / eq5 polarscope.

Maybe this is normal? Im a total beginner, any help would be appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is normal on that mount they are lite on the high spec mount and can get a polar scope that is lite for a bit more if you can send that one back or there is this its a add on 

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi9xvyysozsAhWMz-0KHdQ6CskYABAKGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2UhI9eV7vca8dl55aLIR8VVKuin-I5JakyZSKaEkM8rvamZQ5eJYfsh6IuHFLIYQm6vgH58dtlhIKuGeLDWA&sig=AOD64_3fmxvJUK3fd_QENu14lsdiGsx4Bw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiHy_OysozsAhVrThUIHejTDHAQwg96BAgNEBs&adurl=

Edited by Neil H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh right thanks for the reply, so youre saying that usually there is no way you can see the marks without it being illuminated? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought about shining a torch down it? You should be able to see any markings clearly then. Enjoy :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, isabe said:

Oh right thanks for the reply, so youre saying that usually there is no way you can see the marks without it being illuminated? 

On my eq3/2 i had to shine a lite down it my HEQ5pro has a lite built in the unit i linked you to a unit that will lite it up so you can see the marks 

Edited by Neil H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to strap a head torch with a red light to mine and angle it so the markings showed up but Polaris still showed through! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh ok thank you, will get one of those then - thought I had a dodgy polarscope!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Art Gecko said:

I used to strap a head torch with a red light to mine and angle it so the markings showed up but Polaris still showed through! 

Haha that will probably be me, my arm is getting tired of holding my headtorch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, M40 said:

Have you thought about shining a torch down it? You should be able to see any markings clearly then. Enjoy :D

Yes just a bit annoying! glad that my polarscope is alright, thought that maybe it was a bit broken because I couldn’t see the markings in the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, isabe said:

Yes just a bit annoying! glad that my polarscope is alright, thought that maybe it was a bit broken because I couldn’t see the markings in the day

You should be able to see the markings in daylight... you need to!! Otherwise how have you calibrated/centred it to the mount?? Where did you get it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Art Gecko said:

You should be able to see the markings in daylight... you need to!! Otherwise how have you calibrated/centred it to the mount?? Where did you get it? 

That’s the problem I’m having, so hard to calibrate... It’s a skywatcher eq3-2 polarscope, I’m really confused lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you got the polar scope mounted the right way round can you post a photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does a polar scope have focus adjusters? I can’t remember!! Been so long since I had to calibrate one!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Have you got the polar scope mounted the right way round can you post a photo

I think I have it mounted the right way around 😂😂

CD119E1B-C88F-4D1F-B23B-248CF234B85A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Art Gecko said:

Does a polar scope have focus adjusters? I can’t remember!! Been so long since I had to calibrate one!! 

Yes it has a ridged thing in the front that turns, I have tried everything it just doesn’t seem to want to focus on the cross hairs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The focus ring is the end part turn it not the whole scope to focus it 

Edited by Neil H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I vaguely remember focussing mine Before screwing it into the mount... but I may be wrong I don’t know for sure if that makes a difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Art Gecko said:

I think I vaguely remember focussing mine Before screwing it into the mount... but I may be wrong I don’t know for sure if that makes a difference

 

14 minutes ago, Neil H said:

The focus ring is the end part turn it not the whole scope to focus it 

Thanks for all your help, I will play about with it a bit more - probably something obvious I’m doing wrong! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need to calibrate the polar scope day time i will link a video that will help also you do rotate the axis to open the scope ?  Watch video it will show you all you need to know . Download synscanit app i know you dont have go to but it will show you how you polar scope should look at the time you are doing  polar alginment 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neil H said:

 

 

4 minutes ago, Neil H said:

You will need to calibrate the polar scope day time i will link a video that will help also you do rotate the axis to open the scope ?  Watch video it will show you all you need to know . Download synscanit app i know you dont have go to but it will show you how you polar scope should look at the time you are doing  polar alginment 

 

Thank you I’ll check those out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unscrew the polarscope eyepiece and the reticule should come into focus. I have the same one and I need to make about 3 or 4 full turns anticlockwise to get focus on the reticule. From your photo the eyepiece seems to be fully in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Franklin said:

Unscrew the polarscope eyepiece and the reticule should come into focus. I have the same one and I need to make about 3 or 4 full turns anticlockwise to get focus on the reticule. From your photo the eyepiece seems to be fully in.

Thank for the reply, It’s fully in in the pic but i’ve played around with it a bunch with no luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Franklin said:

Unscrew the polarscope eyepiece and the reticule should come into focus. 

I think Franklin is pointing you in the right direction here. Some of the new stuff I got, I had to be a bit of a man to move it as brand new the varnish/paint/manufacturing process made things very tight. The knurled knob on the end focuses the reticule, this must turn separately from the body to focus. Hope you don't break it 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.