SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moving To Affinity Photo

dazza1639

I have recently made the move from a copy of photoshop CS2 to Affinity Photo. I am glad that I did, it has given me the push to try and get to grips with mono imaging in narrowband. Here are a couple of recent images taken with my Atik One 6.0 with baader 7nm HA & OIII filters, through my Equinox 80 pro scope anf Televe TRF2008 0.8x reducer flattener. These are my first go at HOO, and I struggled a bit with how to combine channels in Affinity, it's not as straight forward as pasing the mono images into each channel like photoshop, but once I got the hang of the new workflow and the differences with masks, I think I prefer it.

PacmanNebula.thumb.jpg.22971f96083fafeb78e7687a18d37f1a.jpg1766130823_CrescentNebula.thumb.jpg.ddbb91e8b308c32b3c5c1e4e8a0c05c3.jpg

Darren

• Like 10

• 3 months later...

HI,

On 28/09/2020 at 11:48, dazza1639 said:

These are my first go at HOO, and I struggled a bit with how to combine channels in Affinity, it's not as straight forward as pasing the mono images into each channel like photoshop, but once I got the hang of the new workflow and the differences with masks, I think I prefer it.

I have just bought Affinity Photo, but I am completely unable to work out how to combine three mono images into an RGB one, despite searching their forum.

You obviously have cracked this problem - could you explain of give me a link to the solution!

Many thanks.

(My 20 year-old copy of PhotoPaint you select combine channels and assign one image to each channel - it's as simple as that! - it also lets you split images with one click - RGB, CMYK etc.)

The method I use is to paste each of my mono images into a new document as a layer, then use the colour channel adjustment layer on each of the new layers to colour them as either red, green or blue. I have set up presets for each colour to make it quick and easy. Then you just set the blend mode to add for each of the layers. This produces a colour image, if you then create a stamp layer that combines all the visible layers (ctrl, alt, shift & E) this creates a colour layer that you can further process. A good video to watch about colour is 

this explains splitting a colour image into each channel and recombining as used in my method.  
this video explains how to user the colour channel mixer

• Like 1

To make the process a little clearer I have recorded a quick video showing how I combine mono images to create a colour image using Affinity Photo.

https://youtu.be/MBZ5W5YKVg4

The images in this video are just single 5 minute subs taken with Red, Green & Blue filters, that have been aligned using Astro Pixel Processor and saved as Tiff files.

I hope it helps.

Edited by dazza1639
  • Like 1

The Affinity Suite is superb and I've been using Serif software for 25 years.

The support forums are similar to these in terms of knowledgebase, helpful and friendly users (and staff).

As well as Photo for editing images, I use Designer for layout and vector editing and Publisher for producing printed magazines as part of my business.

1 hour ago, Mick J said:

If you own a copy the beta downloads from the forum pages now have an astro import/stacking persona

Useful too know, will have to check out the astro persona  already use affinity photo, do you have a download link to it?

Edited by Frank the Troll

On 24/01/2021 at 11:54, Stub Mandrel said:

I've had a brilliant idea...

I'll just keep PS2 for combining images then edit them in something else...

There is no need to keep PS2 if it is just for combining the mono images into a colour image, if you watch my video you will see how easy it is.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Is Affinity better than photoshop? I have been using photoshop combined with stock images from the Depositphotos website, and I feel like I use something else instead of photoshop. It's not a bad program, I can see why most people use it, but I want to try Affinity too. I would love to see if it's better in any way than photoshop is, and since some of you guys have already used it, I would love to hear what you think. If someone has used some other photo editing program, they should share too because I am willing to try anything good. Waiting for the responses, thanks in advance.

Edited by NickWhittle

8 hours ago, NickWhittle said:

Is Affinity better than photoshop?

Yep....but I only have PS CS6 to compare it with. I however still use PS when destining my smart watch faces as its easier.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

• 1 month later...