SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heart Nebula - now in colour.

Kinch

I do recall saying on several occasions that I was not into 'cartoon colours'. This comes close (in my eyes). As I processed the data it more or less just jumped out at me like this - of course I played with curves etc. to end up with an image quite colourful for my style.....but that I actually like too!

It will go up on my web site later today - if anyone is interested in full details and higher resolution. (In brief: 8 hours Ha, 7 hours each SII & OIII...and then 3 hours of RGB thrown in.)

Heart Nebula Signed (1368 x 1179).jpg

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, gilesco said:

some bad data in there still, but will improve over time

For sure...if you know there is bad data in there, you should get rid of it. Less time with better data always gives you a better foundation if you are going to add more time to it. I am sure you will get it sorted ... but do add as much time on it as you can bear to run with. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kinch said:

For sure...if you know there is bad data in there, you should get rid of it. Less time with better data always gives you a better foundation if you are going to add more time to it. I am sure you will get it sorted ... but do add as much time on it as you can bear to run with. 

Yes, when I have enough subs my workflow will discard them.

31 minutes ago, Kinch said:

👍....wishing you clear skies (which I don't have until next week 🙄)

Thanks, don't have any clear skies forecast here until, well, for as long as the forecast forecasts for... I am waiting on an Apo and then, hopefully, will get more subs in less overall time than I can with my cheap-ish achromat.

That's turned out lovely Brendan. Subdued but still with plenty of colour, i really like that. 

Out of curiosity, do you downscale your images? I notice it's not possible to zoom in. 

ps - Do you know what the little blue thing is at left of centre? A Planetary Nebula of some kind maybe? 

5 hours ago, Xiga said:

Out of curiosity, do you downscale your images? I notice it's not possible to zoom in. 

ps - Do you know what the little blue thing is at left of centre? A Planetary Nebula of some kind maybe? 

Yes - I have to downsize....the final images are just huge even as JPEG. Even on my own website, I rarely put up the full image (even in the link to higher resolution)

What you refer to is indeed a PN and I believe I am correct with saying it is:  PN G135.6+1.0 (WeBo 1)

Here is a crop from the full resolution image that shows it better....

Heart Nebula Crop.jpg

Edited by Kinch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm sure about the rationale of adding RGB to a false colour palette, though. I'd have thought RGB added to HOO would be more natural?

I presume you meant "I am NOT sure...."

For me, it is not actually habit, but on many occassions I just go for 1 hour each R,G & B for star colour - when an opportunity for getting reasonable RGB arises. (I need a dark nights and high target - out of the light pollution). This is generally only used if there is little colour in the stars of the final NB image. I said it on another thread, that it is just a dislike of mine......seeing stars all simply white (or nearly so) in narrow band images. On this occassion, I don't really think I needed to colourize the stars so much....but I had the data and the time....so I put it in. I don't think what I did on this image made any huge improvement / difference and I think it was more a matter of using the RGB - just because I had it. Having done so - I just recorded the fact that the RGB was in there.

Brendan.

• Like 1