SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQMOD: "Connection Error: Port not available

masjstovel

Hi,

Trying to start up my mount through PC as i have always done without problems, but now i cant anymore, getting the error message shown above. As far as i can see i havent done anything i didnt do earlier when it worked fine. I did download latest version of ASCOM, EQMOD and all a while back, and SGP couldnt find my guidecam, but i sorted that at the time.

I have a HitecAstro EQdir cable to my EQ6 with that serial port on the mount end. I have a StarTech USB-hub, which my ASI120mm and ASI1600mm is connected to, and the EQ6 mount. (EAF and EFW goes via the ASI1600) This  hub goes to the computer via an active/repeater USB cable. The mount poweres up when turning it on, and the light indicator for the port on the usb-hub is lit. I've tried changing ports, but still the same. Settings are as shown on photos below (except its usually port 5, but it cant find it when i search for it and therefore goes to port 16). 

Ive tried turning off and on mount, USB-hub, USB's, power supply (1 for everything on) and computer. I've tried different ports on hub for the mount USB. 

What more can i do?

image.png.568299830ee53f699f0735399829d178.png

image.png.6867e511d4ec583f8be9003f8ddbef64.png

That "PL2303HXA phased out" message have always been there, but i followed a go-around recipe when i got the cable and it worked after that

Edited by masjstovel

Edit, just saw that you tried switching ports on the hub. You should have your baud set to 115200 In EQmod. This will hopefully solve your issue. You will also need to set that rate in your USB/COM port setting for the port you are using.

Edited by Jpr78

1 hour ago, Jpr78 said:

Edit, just saw that you tried switching ports on the hub. You should have your baud set to 115200 In EQmod. This will hopefully solve your issue. You will also need to set that rate in your USB/COM port setting for the port you are using.

I tried that with no luck. changed in control panel on PC and in EQmod... Starting to think the cable is defect?

Hi there,  have you tried using eqascom toolbox to diagnose if there is a problem? Open the toolbox and choose comms statistics, select your COM port and start test, it should show results much like a ping reply. 

You can also try  looping the tx and rx pins at the serial end together with a thin wire inside the holes and use the tool above to rule out the mount.  I did that trick once to test a faulty cable that  came with my heq5. 

Hi, I had the Hitec Astro direct cable, it didn't work because the USB software was out of date/not compatible anymore! I had the same message on my computer saying contact supplier etc so I got the new version cable from Flow and all is good 👍

Screenshot_20200927_100003_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Rustang

2 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Hi, I had the Hitec Astro direct cable, it didn't work because the USB software was out of date/not compatible anymore! I had the same message on my computer saying contact supplier etc so I got the new version cable from Flow and all is good 👍

Yes i know, but i found i go-around to make it work. It was a recipe somewhere on the web, but i dont remember how. If it did not work after i downloaded Ascom v6.5 i would understand, but it DID work a couple of sessions with the newest version and now suddenly it doesnt. But am i interpereting it correct when i say its connection to my computer because of that Pl2303HXA text? 

3 minutes ago, masjstovel said:

Yes i know, but i found i go-around to make it work. It was a recipe somewhere on the web, but i dont remember how. If it did not work after i downloaded Ascom v6.5 i would understand, but it DID work a couple of sessions with the newest version and now suddenly it doesnt. But am i interpereting it correct when i say its connection to my computer because of that Pl2303HXA text? 

Sadly because of my lack of computer knowledge I can't really help much further, all I know is I had that message and to me that meant the cable was at fault so getting the newer version did solve the issue for me. Maybe you got lucky the first couple of times? , I'm not sure though I'm afraid. Might be worth getting the new cable to try, if it doesn't work, send it back 👍

Edited by Rustang

12 hours ago, masjstovel said:

EQdir cable to my EQ6 with that serial port on the mount end

What does the serial connection on the mount look like? 

12 hours ago, masjstovel said:

I have a StarTech USB-hub, which my ASI120mm and ASI1600mm is connected to, and the EQ6 mount. (EAF and EFW goes via the ASI1600) This  hub goes to the computer via an active/repeater USB cable.

When diagnosing stuff like this, you need to get hubs and repeater cables out of the way.

To eliminate the eqdir cable, plug one end into a usb port on your computer and the other end into the mount. Now try to connect.

Any good?

If not, this cable just works.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, masjstovel said:

a network cable end

I'm guessing because I don't know what the serial port looks like on your eq6. I assumed it was that because of this post.

If you actually have a 9 pin connector as on the Neq6 and older versions then this one will do it. The more spare cables you have, the less likely the failure of the one you're using;)

HTH

14 hours ago, masjstovel said:

but i followed a go-around recipe

What was it?

Your Device manager screen doesn't show a COM port at all in the normal way - if you click and show properties of the PL2303 adfapter what does it show. I suspect you have had an Windows 10 update which has reset the PL2303 driver

In the longer term I would update the cable to FTDI chipped device - as described above. Prolific chips ,especially Chinese fake ones, are source of many problems on Astro USB adapters 🙂

In short term you could try this (only works if Prolific chip is genuine not a clone)  http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO Cable/PL-2303/Drivers - Generic/Windows/allinone/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v110.zip

9 hours ago, stash_old said:

what are they ? 😞

Not sure, heard some rumors though that there are some interesting things behind those clouds, a friend of a friend of my great grand father said he had seen it, but might be just some ancient mystery. All im sure of is that if the mystery appears im sure it will be while my new cable has not arrived.

Edited by masjstovel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am late to this thread, but am having a similar issue with EQMOD not recognizing the USB hub/ports on my computer.
But I have a unique situation in that everything was running just fine for a year now. Now I am trying to set up a remote access computer at my scope replacing my laptop I was formerly using. To that end, I purchased a new computer (NUC 10th Gen I-5) and am loading up all the software to enable remote access. 

So I am loading up the software with my HEQ5 mount at my side powered up for testing. I plugged in everything as before using a USB2EQ5 Shoestring Astronomy cable and to test it works just fine and connects to my port on my laptop as it did before. BUT NOW WITH MY NUC I take the same cable and remove it from my laptop and connect it to the NUC and EQMOD won't recognize the port, and I tried all the USB ports. Turned off/on the NUC, updated the USB drivers, etc.

So my guess is that given the side by side test the only thing that this comes down to is EQMOD simply does not recognize or cannot read my NUC's ports. I go into Driver Setup, Port, Search and 'Not Found', same in the diagnostics. I selected each COM1, 2, 3, etc to 16 'OK' then hit connect and each time 'Connect Error: Port Not Available'. But again, I move the mount cable to my laptop and connects no problem. 

On my NUC I updated the drivers, it shows under Ports, 'COM1' and 'COM2'. The NUC is a 10th Gen I-5 processor and the laptop an I-7. The port location shows something different in the NUC for the USB ports as 'Location: On PCI to ISA Bridge' whereas on my laptop the I-7 the USB hub (only 1 showing) says 'Location: on USB Serial Converter'. Maybe this is why EQMOD cannot find the USB hub? Beyond my knowledge this level of detail to direct EQMOD to the port.

Thanks in advance if anyone has a thought or suggestion. Sorry for the lengthy query.

AL

Hi, 

I recently set this up with my goto mount, I'm using a B2 to usb cable that i plug into my hand controller and then use the usb end to plug into the SAME usb port on my laptop each time.  (COM4) is what my laptop calls it.  Under the port section of the ASCOM setup I make sure that also says COM4 under Port.  I click ok and everything should be fine.

I set this up VIA the ASCOM toolbox under driver settings (or something like that).  Make sure to register too before you do any of this.  Only need to do it once, for me to get it to work on windwos 10 I had to open ASCOM toolbox via Administrator, but after that, just opened it as normal. 

Make sure all your dirvers are up to date. 

Edit: just realised you have the problem sorted. 

Edited by Sidecontrol

• 1 month later...

Hey guyz, i hope I am not too late on this thread.

I am having issues as well, with the com port connecting to my mount. However, I am using a Skywatcher EQ 3 PRO Mount (https://soldigo.azureedge.net/images/7265/9xrimptcoj.jpg) with a goto synscan.

My 1st question here would be, if EQASCOM can connect to my mount ( i am asking because all the discussions i read so far, are for the EQ5-6 mounts).

Hope somebody will answer :P

21 hours ago, Starflyer said:

I gave up trying to keep my prolific adapter working, I'd apply the the fix and then a Windows update would break it again at some point in the future.

Yes it breaks every now and again for me too. I check it now every time befor I connect and change the driver as required.

How do you keep your scope connected if you dont keep the prolific adapter working ?

3 hours ago, mackiedlm said:

Yes it breaks every now and again for me too. I check it now every time befor I connect and change the driver as required.

How do you keep your scope connected if you dont keep the prolific adapter working ?

I moved to an FTDI based adapter, zero problems since.