Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cygnus loop from the Samyang 135!

assouptro

Hi Star people!

I find the challenge of changing focal length and having to tame a new rigg a satisfying part of this hobby but I have stuck with the Samyang 135mm lens for a couple of months now due to the wide field and speed it allows.

Here is my first version of the Cygnus loop. 
it started off as a HSO Into which I tried to introduce some rgb stars (a skill I am still trying to master) 

I tamed the overwhelming  green from the Strong Ha emissions With selective colour in PS and produced something I found a tad more pleasing to my eye but lost some of the star colour.

Anyway, here it is...

B6CBCA9B-EF03-490C-AACA-C89D7BB93350.thumb.jpeg.0c2397c648731aa4652c599e89b27ff3.jpeg

It contains:

3 and a half hour Ha (mostly captured under moonlight

2 hours sii (also moonlit nights)

Nearly 5 hours Oiii 

All narrowband subs are 5 or 6 min 

rgb is about 30 min of each, 2 min subs 1x1

Camera, Atik 490

Filters, 5nm Astrodon 

Capture software, Artemis capture 

Registration and stacking, Astro pixel processor 

Starnet ++

Photoshop ps7

Tweaked and cropped and uploaded from my phone with PsXpress

Any tips for improving the star colours, or any part of the image welcome! 

Thanks for looking 

Bryan 

• Like 18

5 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

You just cant beat f2 eh? :D:D  If you do get any new optics...  dont sell the Samyang!!! (you will regret it).

Ive often wondered how a 490ex would perform on this lens.... and... its pretty blummin good.... if not the perfect combination.

Thank you for the comment. 
The lens is definitely a keeper! 
I have owned it for a while now and finally experimented with my Atik 460 once I had worked out the adapters needed. 
unfortunately the 460 developed a fault that resulted in it being away in Portugal for a few months. I had always wanted a 490 and one came up for sale when I was without the 460 so I took a chance and I have to say, I am glad I did! 
It is a great combo! 

thanks again 

Bryan 

5 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

I think the only thing that would beat the Samyang 135mm is the much more expensive Sigma Art 105mm.

Great picture to the OP!!!

Thanks for the comment! 
I have looked at the Sigma lens and it is on my want list 

Cheers 

Bryan 

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

So much of this image is absolutely great. However, the HSO palette does not replicate RGB, so I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by combining nebulosity from one (HSO) palette with stars from another (RGB?)

Olly

Thanks Olly 

I guess I am still learning, after about 12 years of practice. Although I have only been using cooled mono for the last couple of years. 
I have posted NB images in the past and had comments saying the images would be improved with RGB stars, but having thought about it, it could have been HOO images that were being referred to? 

Thanks for the feedback! 

Cheers 

Bryan 

7 hours ago, assouptro said:

Thanks Olly 

I guess I am still learning, after about 12 years of practice. Although I have only been using cooled mono for the last couple of years. 
I have posted NB images in the past and had comments saying the images would be improved with RGB stars, but having thought about it, it could have been HOO images that were being referred to? 

Thanks for the feedback! 

Cheers 

Bryan 

Yes, HOO would benefit from RGB stars because it comes close to RGB. In fact I tend to work the other way round. I'll shoot an RGB, sometimes quite quickly, and then add deep Ha to red and deep OIII to green and blue in blend mode lighten. I prefer to work this way round than to add RGB stars at the end.

Olly

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Yes, HOO would benefit from RGB stars because it comes close to RGB. In fact I tend to work the other way round. I'll shoot an RGB, sometimes quite quickly, and then add deep Ha to red and deep OIII to green and blue in blend mode lighten. I prefer to work this way round than to add RGB stars at the end.

Olly

Thanks Olly 

That makes sense. 
As I already have the data, I will have a go at that to see what it looks like 😊 

Cheers

Bryan