SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Chroma Noise

Grierson

Apologies as I am not really a beginner but I'm not sure where else to ask the question. Perhaps Mods can move the post.

The image below is a heavily cropped single 600sec sub of IC5146 which I took to test out the Off Axis Guiding of my new Edge HD 8". To the right of the centre of the image is a patch of what appears to be rough chroma 'noise?'. I wonder if anyone can tell me what the likely cause could be. My poor PixInsight processing skills or a hardware issue? The camera is a ZWO294 cooled to -20 degrees. I should add that no such issue appears on all my shorter duration subs to date. Any comment would be welcome. Thanks - John

Test 3.jpg

Edited by Grierson

54 minutes ago, Grierson said:

Apologies as I am not really a beginner but I'm not sure where else to ask the question. Perhaps Mods can move the post.

The image below is a heavily cropped single 600sec sub of IC5146 which I took to test out the Off Axis Guiding of my new Edge HD 8". To the right of the centre of the image is a patch of what appears to be rough chroma 'noise?'. I wonder if anyone can tell me what the likely cause could be. My poor PixInsight processing skills or a hardware issue? The camera is a ZWO294 cooled to -20 degrees. I should add that no such issue appears on all my shorter duration subs to date. Any comment would be welcome. Thanks - John

Test 3.jpg

I think the camera thread would be the place. Never seen anything like that before, is it on every single frame of just the stacked image?

Edited by Adam J

9 minutes ago, Grierson said:

Yes, thanks Adam, that was my dilemma. Camera or Software? 
This is a single unstacked image. I did take nine subs and they all exhibit the same issue. - John

any chance that there was any condensation built up in the sensor at the time?

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in responding. I do not take bias frames Andrew. Received wisdom seems to suggest they are not needed with a cmos camera. My darks look ‘normal’ but they were taken earlier in the day at -20deg. I will now take a look at the condensation issue. John