Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Will a diagonal provide the distance!

Rustang

None of my eye pieces seem to come into focus on my SW80 ED DS PRO so I'm guessing I need an extension, I would also like to get a diagonal so my question is, from anyone's experience, will the diagonal give me the extra distance to achieve focus across a range of eye pieces, 6mm up to 24mm with out the need for an extension tube. It's one of my imaging scopes mainly but I would still like to take a peak visually once in a while. I think I already know the answer but prefer to check 😊

Edited by Rustang

You don’t say what diagonal you already may own, however -

Generally speaking most 2” diagonals need to be racked in closer towards the scope than most 1.25” diagonals.

Also - is your intention to visually use the scope for astronomy or daytime viewing like birdwatching ?  For astronomy use focus will be achieved with the focuser racked closer to the scope than nearby daytime views.

Ed.

• Like 1

Hi i dont think a diagonal  on its own will do it my bresser has 2 extensions an easy way to try is get the centre roll from a loo roll fit the eyepiece  and slide this into focuser  and move it in and out till you focus this will tell you how big an extension your need

Edited by Neil H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NGC 1502 said:

You don’t say what diagonal you already may own, however -

Generally speaking most 2” diagonals need to be racked in closer towards the scope than most 1.25” diagonals.

Also - is your intention to visually use the scope for astronomy or daytime viewing like birdwatching ?  For astronomy use focus will be achieved with the focuser racked closer to the scope than nearby daytime views.

Ed.

I don't have a diagonal! I'm looking to get one 😊 I intend only for the occasional astronomy use 👍

2 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi i dont think a diagonal  on its own will do it my bresser has 2 extensions an easy way to try is get the centre roll from a loo roll fit the eyepiece  and slide this into focuser  and move it in and out till you focus this will tell you how big ab extension your need

Thanks, I will give it a try 👍

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

An ED80 set up for visual with an eyepiece.

48ECF797-E061-4A0B-893B-A91D06358701.jpeg

Cheers, that's what I thought might be the case but had to check before I brought the wrong things👍

Edited by Rustang

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

The Bresser with the Hexafoc focuser is different to the SW as they use extension tubes to allow a much greater range of in and out focus for visual and camera use.

The extension tubes are also required due to the very limited amount of travel on the Hexafoc focuser, only 45 mm. 

John