Narrowband

HitecAstro Focusmaster v1 and NINA

tomato

Has anybody successfully connected one of the HitecAstro Focusmaster v1 units (the ones with the black case) to NINA? I have two of these and they return an error with the 64 bit version of NINA or connect with the 32 bit version then promptly cause the software to quit.

I have the ASCOM driver from the Hitec website and both connect faultlessly with SGP.

I have the error code so I can post a query on the NINA forum but I was wondering if folks have had more success with them than myself.

I have installed ASCOM 6.5, (I had 6.4) and still get the same error message when selecting Hitec Focuser from the NINA drop down list. However if I pick Generic Hub then select the Hitec focuser via the Ascom properties dialogue box it appears to connect and work. 

I'm in the middle of an SGP generated mosaic but will give NINA a try out when it is finished, assuming I ever complete it...

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I have recently changed the scope set up and my Hitec focusers are currently not connected so I can’t repeat the operation. 

It won’t take long to try one out however, so I’ll give it another go and let you know if I can make it work.

• Like 1

Just a wee heads up.

I had a focuser issue in that NINA always picked up the incorrect values when first connected from the ASCOM driver. If I disconnected then reconnected the focuser it always picked up the correct values.

I posted this issue to FLO as they are responsible for Lakeside products, the ASCOM forum and Discord (the NINA forum).

Everything pointed towards a NINA issue as the exact same setup had worked perfectly under SGP.

One of the devs picked the issue up and agreed it was a NINA issue especially as it was 100% repeatable.

Within 3 days I was asked to download a specific Beta version to test and it worked perfectly every time. 

Apparently it was a timing issue - which means the square root of diddly squat to me.

Might be worth trying the latest Beta version Version 1.10 HF2 BETA003 from here https://nighttime-imaging.eu/download/

If that doesn't work its worth persevering with the devs on Discord. 

• Like 1

I tried the Generic Hub option, picked the Ascom Hitec Focuser under properties, and it connected OK. I have checked at the scope and the commands are definitely moving the motor. I've attached a little screen capture vid which doesn't show the ASCOM dialogue box opening for some reason, but it does work. 

Unfortunately, I cannot test the autofocuser routine as I have taken the camera off the scope.

I used the ASCOM driver available from the Hitec website, make sure you download the driver appropriate to your version of the Focusmaster unit.

Edited by tomato
driver comment added

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

Just a wee heads up.

I had a focuser issue in that NINA always picked up the incorrect values when first connected from the ASCOM driver. If I disconnected then reconnected the focuser it always picked up the correct values.

I posted this issue to FLO as they are responsible for Lakeside products, the ASCOM forum and Discord (the NINA forum).

Everything pointed towards a NINA issue as the exact same setup had worked perfectly under SGP.

One of the devs picked the issue up and agreed it was a NINA issue especially as it was 100% repeatable.

Within 3 days I was asked to download a specific Beta version to test and it worked perfectly every time. 

Apparently it was a timing issue - which means the square root of diddly squat to me.

Might be worth trying the latest Beta version Version 1.10 HF2 BETA003 from here https://nighttime-imaging.eu/download/

If that doesn't work its worth persevering with the devs on Discord. 

exactly what i have done and all seems to be working fine.

got to do proper tests though and that will be after i fix my dome issue.

Tomato have you tried it through Device Hub? also what version of Ascom are you on