Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Helios 2x40 Starfield Binoculars

FLO

If you have ever wanted a Japanese-made Vixen SG 2.1x42 widefield binocular but didn't like the price, you will like this 🙂 

Helios have released a very similar product at a significantly lower price. Only £89! 

Helios 2x40 Star Field Binoculars

helios_2x40_starfield_binocular.jpg.79c32612763ec99be587b9abf357a214.jpg

The low 2x magnification and multicoated optics provide huge, bright, high contrast views of the night sky. Perfect for observing the Milky Way and star fields. I like them, but binoculars like these are undeniably a Marmite product. 

They are not like regular binoculars. They use a modified Galilean optical system so do not have a clearly defined circular field and the viewing area is not sharp and flat to the edge. That is not what they are designed for. Indeed I am not sure they should even be called a binocular. They occupy ground somewhere between spectacles and binocular. Perhaps they are best described as a visual aid

They do however provide wonderful views of the night sky. Everything is easier to see and appreciate vs naked eye, whether you view from a city or under a dark sky, and they cost only around the same as a decent eyepiece. So we recommend them 🙂 

Steve 

• Like 2

Yeah, I've been umm and ahhh'ing over something like these for a while.  I do enjoy scanning the sky with naked eye, so a little oomph sounds perfect.  Mixed reviews in another thread kept me on the fence but it's worth a punt at this price point.  Ordered.

Edited by geeklee
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Anyone that purchased these that has had an opportunity to get a first light with them? Would love to know some more about their performance!

I started a thread about them a few weeks back. It got deflected by those who were thinking of making their own version but there might be some useful information in it:

I have not as yet purchased or used any of these.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, John said:

I started a thread about them a few weeks back. It got deflected by those who were thinking of making their own version but there might be some useful information in it:

I have not as yet purchased or used any of these.

Thanks John, definitely useful information;)