Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some tweaks to my 13h M27 image

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Couldn't resist having a bit of a tweak to my previous M27 effort. I felt H-alpha was being drowned out by O[III], and as these data were shot through an Optolong L-eNhance filter with an OSC camera, the only option was to tweak curves with Gimp. Previously, I had only boosted the red channel, but wasn't quite satisfied. I therefore reigned in blue and green, only at the higher levels, and feel the result is better balanced. It seems to have removed much of the cyan cast of the stars as well. I also cropped some of the artefacts left by FITSwork's unsharp masking routine.

M27-46950.0s-NR-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-ref-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RE-MBB10_4crop.thumb.jpg.84855d3877c4412e275621d294e35e80.jpg

A bit of the H-alpha in the outer shells is coming through, but data are needed, although that doesn't seem likely in the coming week at least. Star colours could also be improved by added unfiltered colour data (prefereably from a dark site). Whatever the shortcomings, I am very pleased with this first real attempt at M27.

The previous version was this:

M27-46950.0s-NR-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-ref-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RE-MBB10_4-2.thumb.jpg.2bfa5f5f2fe48cf118679ca2202243d1.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I felt H-alpha was being drowned out by O[III], and as these data were shot through an Optolong L-eNhance filter with an OSC camera, the only option was to tweak curves with Gimp. 

APP has an extract channel option that separates OSC data from Due-band filters and stacks them individually allowing you to use the data in the same way as you would with a Mono camera. 

Adam

3 minutes ago, Adam J said:

APP has an extract channel option that separates OSC data from Due-band filters and stacks them individually allowing you to use the data in the same way as you would with a Mono camera. 

Adam

I have heard of that option, will try to locate it. Given the nature of the data, I could simply combine the blue and green channels for O[III] (with a little H-beta in there maybe)  and use the red as H-alpha. I doubt restacking the ton of images with channels separated would show much difference in the data