Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barnard 150 at the final cloudfree night

gorann

Here is my last RASA 8 image for a while as clouds seems to have settled for more than a week. This dark nebulosity between Cepheus and Cygnus is Barnard 150 and next to it is the Fireworks galaxy NGC6946. I was pointing both my RASA and my Edge HD11 at the same area this last cloudless night and I just posted the Edge image of the galaxy.

Barnard 150 apparently also goes under the name of the Seahorse Nebula due to its shape. I am a biologist and have often worked in marine environments but have never seen a seahorse like this😁

The ASI2600MC was set at gain 100 (offset 30) and kept at -15°C. 19 x 10 min, so 3.2 hours.

EDIT: I added a second version below with more blue saturation as it struck me that the blue stars and galaxy looked a bit pale

20200919-20 NGC6946 RASA PS27smallSIgn.jpg

20200919-20 NGC6946 RASA PS28smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 15

Thanks a lot Craig! Yes, these things are massive, but faint, and really demand short FL scopes. I thought if would be cool to capture one of them together with an iconic galaxy,

Edited by gorann

2 minutes ago, CCD-Freak said:

Great image.  I have become very interested about imaging dark nebula.   B150 is on my list for my dark site imaging expedition to New Mexico next month.

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Thanks a lot and good luck in New Mexico John - I love the nature and sceneries there! And the best of luck with your new wide field scope!