SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M1 - Crab Nebula

James

After my first imaging post where I put up a single 10 minutes sub of the Crab it was suggested by several people quite rightly (and quite persistently by one SteveL :) ) that I should get more data on an object.

So, this is another one taken on Boxing day night and is an hour of luminance, 20 mins Red, 40 mins Green an 40 mins Blue (I lost some of the red - sorry Steve!). All subs were 10 minutes.

Once again processed by SteveL :salute: and again using our SXV-H9, FLT110, guided using a Lodestar...

11826_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

James

I haven't had any time for processing lessons really in between a demanding family and busy work. :) The plan in the medium term is for Steve (FLO) to do the processing and me to capture but along the way Steve will want to do some capturing and I'll want to process.

In the meantime we're leaning on SteveL's expertise and advice and his patience given that I keep throwing data at him and he has his own to do too...

James

With this weather? hahahaha...

This weather isnt helping at all with my learn to love luna new years resolution...

Hmmm need some new software toys to play with... almost Registar'd to death the old data now...

Re-organised the mask pdf's ready for when I can find somewhere to host them long term and will probably have another subs cull tomorrow... and re-organise the data across the HDD's

Billy...

repeat the mantra: "We will get Steve imaging again before Kelling...We will get Steve imaging again before Kelling...We will get Steve imaging again before Kelling..."

(Which year is intentionally left blank)

I love that crab James, you've got the wispy detail there beautifully and the stars are looking very tight.

Are you binning the colour? A lot of people suggest that it is best to go unbinnned since it can bloat the stars. I don't really agree with this for medium and long focal lengths, you can handle bloated stars in the RGB much better than you can noise/weak signal. The aim is get the s/n ratio in each channel to at least match the luminence. In other words, to achieve good colour saturation without excessive noise, each colour channel needs more exposure than the luminence. In our climate I think this is just unrealistic.

10mins is a hefty sub length, was this from a dark sky.

Due to some technical difficulties caused by the software I was using (I think) all my data has been 2x binned so far. I've nearly got round that so will try not binning to see what happens - if we just had more clear nights I could do so much more trial and error :(

My imaging has been done from my back garden in Taunton (pop'n 58,000). I'm lucky in that my street has no streetlights and there's open countryside to the west only 300 yards away. That said, so far all my imaging has been done in the direction of the town centre itself. I've been using a CLS filter which seems to help and seems suited to the light pollution here!

I've just seen your imaging primer Martin - useful stuff!

James

It's a very useful guide thats for sure James.

Im not sure if others see the same, or whether it is just my laptop, but the image above appears to have a colour gradient, green on the left over to blue on the right. Just for interests sake, I ran the jpg through Pixinsight's dynamic background tool. Here's the result.

12057_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Im not sure if others see the same, or whether it is just my laptop, but the image above appears to have a colour gradient, green on the left over to blue on the right.

I see exactly the same on my laptop but not on my standalone flat screen monitor... :scratch:

James

yeh, I dont get how it works either! Until Dave (Centroid) posted his problem horsehead, I wasnt sure if it was just my end.

Do you still use a Mac? I have heard that the pics look different on those? Or just another urban myth?

Do you still use a Mac? I have heard that the pics look different on those? Or just another urban myth?

Yep, I do. Some of the monitor settings/graphics output can be different on a Mac but monitor calibration should sort that...although I haven't do so yet and I suspect that it's more down to the monitor. If I tilt my laptop screen slightly my picture looks much better. :(

Archived