Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fireworks galaxy NGC6946 - second galaxy shot for the season

gorann

Clouds have settled here but fortunately I managed to catch this one on the last clear night.

Here is what Wiki has to say:
NGC 6946 (also known as the Fireworks Galaxy or Caldwell 12) is a face-on intermediate spiral galaxy with a small bright nucleus, whose location in the sky straddles the boundary between the northern constellations of Cepheus and Cygnus. Its distance from Earth is about 25.2 million light-years or 7.72 megaparsecs, similar to the distance of M101 (NGC 5457) in the constellation Ursa Major. Both were once considered to be part of the Local Group, but are now known to be among the dozen bright spiral galaxies near the Milky Way but beyond the confines of the Local Group. NGC 6946 lies within the Virgo Supercluster.

Caught with the EdgeHD 11 on the Mesu 200 and ASI071 that was set to gain 200 (offset 30, -15°C). 50 x 5 min, so 250 min or 4.2 hours. Stacked in PI and processed in PS. Had quite good seeing and guiding (RMS 0.4 - 0.5 "/pixel). This is a 50% crop since I had elongated stars in the corners - not much lost this time since it was mainly "empty space" but I obviously need to check the chip distance until next time.

20200919-20 NGC6946 Edge11 PS35SmallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, tomato said:

Another great image I really like the dust detail in the spiral arms

Thanks a lot Steve! (I finally figured out your name - I suspected it was not really that of my favourite veggie)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Your work is always top draw, and there are some pretty good draw makers on this site, beautiful capture.

Alan

I would not go that far Adam but thanks a lot and much appreciated!