Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 HaLRGB (mix of old+new data)

Xplode

I've imaged M31 every fall getting better and better images and i'm done quite done yet it seems!
This is a mix of older CCD data from 2018 and newer CMOS data which are much higher resolution and goes deeper so it's easier to see all the far away tiny galaxies and the more individual stars in M31

Data from 2018
Moravian G3-16200 through a Takahashi FSQ130-ED with a 645 0.7x focal reducer (f/3.5)

22x300s R
14x300s B
20x300s G
22x600s Ha

Data from 2020
ASI6200MM Pro through a Takahashi FSQ130-ED

427x60s L

In total 15.6 hours HaLRGB

Thanks to Tommy Linnerud for allowing me to use his remote observatory and Ola skarpen for the processing.

Please click to check the full version which is downsized to 66% of the original image.
1mMBhX7kBZQy_1824x0_qjcKnX05.jpg

Annotated version showing some of the faint background galaxies (there's many more if you look around)

_N7eEMkrm1cw_1824x0_qjcKnX05.png

Old version
473pzeCcKp2c_1824x0_KBWKEaVc.jpg

Is this my last M31 image? Probably not 😆

Edited by Xplode
  • Like 27

Wall hanger for sure, what's not to like about it.

wish you hadn't mentioned about the background Galaxies,

I must have spent 20 minutes counting them and only got about half way

I stopped to save my sanity, lol.

fantastic Mix well done.

Paul 

Wonderful image, spent an enjoyable 20 minutes looking at the detail in that one. Some interesting galaxies too. There's an interesting looking object in the spiral arms, don't think it's a globular cluster, could be a galaxy seen through the spiral arms?

image.thumb.png.3f7cfdd0e157b5efac6022182eb40c7b.png

Might be a face on spiral?

image.png.be018ba971b2281fb43ddda82b38844b.png

Edited by RobertI

This is superb.  I never tire of images of M31.  I think it is surprisingly tricky to get the colour balance right and you have done that here in spades.  You have that wonderful yellow glow that is hard to get right. The investment in the luminance has paid off handsomely giving you a lovely bright and detailed image.  Chapeau to you mate, you should submit this as an APOD, it is a worthy contender.

Yes there are a lot of background galaxies visible through M31 - and M33 as well for that matter.

I am in the midst of a multi-year challenge to do a high resolution, multi-panel M31 with my TEC 140.  Unfortunately the skies have not cooperated at all in recent autumns, this one included.

Edited by kirkster501

19 hours ago, RobertI said:

Wonderful image, spent an enjoyable 20 minutes looking at the detail in that one. Some interesting galaxies too. There's an interesting looking object in the spiral arms, don't think it's a globular cluster, could be a galaxy seen through the spiral arms?

image.thumb.png.3f7cfdd0e157b5efac6022182eb40c7b.png

Might be a face on spiral?

image.png.be018ba971b2281fb43ddda82b38844b.png

I think so, there's also other galaxies that can be seen through the outer areas of M31.

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely image, very deep and yet totally unforced and natural. The colour, too, is unforced. Spot on.

Olly

Thank you! We will try to keep the colors for the next version after i gather new GB + Ha data for the next version (R is already done)