Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
rnobleeddy

COMPLETED - WITHDRAWN: EQ5 Deluxe Mount with GoTo via EQMOD

EQ5 deluxe mount with GoTo capability - not quite the standard setup, please see below. 

£325 for everything. 

Photo's aren't great - apologies about the cat litter box etc,  but can send more if you need them.

Collection only, from near Nottingham for now. Ideally I'd like to sell this all together, but if there's not a lot of interest, I'd consider splitting up the mount head, tripod and GoTo system, at which point it may be possible to post everything except the tripod.

-----------------
Mount + Tripod
-----------------

This was bought earlier in 2020 new from FLO without motors - see https://www.firstlightoptics.com/equatorial-astronomy-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-deluxe.html. It comes with everything  except the short dovetail bar which I can't find. 

The mount and tripod are in great shape. Been used maybe 15 times and stored indoors.

-----------------
GoTo Upgrade
-----------------

I installed an upgrade kit (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-mount-upgrade-kits/synscan-pro-goto-version-3-upgrade-kit-for-eq5.html) but that I got second hand. This is not in perfect cosmetic condition but works well, as follows:

- The plastic cover that houses the RA motor has some slight damage and has been repaired
- The Motor Controller has been modified to have a permanently wired connector, taking a standard 12V PSU
- I don't have the handset any more, as I switched to using EQMOD via an EQDIR cable (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html)
- This means you need a PC/laptop/pi to control the mount. The EQDIR cable that connects the mount to USB is included

To reiterate, this does not come with a Synscan hand controller. I used the EQDIR cable with EQMOD instead. However, I initially used a handset and this did work fine, I just prefer to sit in the house :) You should be able to use any v3/4/5 handset, or the WiFi adapter, if you have one or get one.

-----------------
Tuning
-----------------

As I installed the GoTo kit I also followed some of the steps in a tuning guide at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tZ58AVVyuQ.

The only permanent change I made was to replace 4 of the bearing on the worm gears with higher quality versions. I also attempted to tune the gear meshing on the motors and the backlash in the RA/DEC worm gears.

I did not open up the RA or DEC axis at all so these are as they came from the factory.

-----------------
Reason for sale
-----------------

I'm imaging and have my setup is a little too heavy for this mount, and guiding performance has suffered. I've had days with good polar alignment and been able to take 5 minute subs, as well as days where I've been limited to 1 minute subs due to what appears to be an occasional wobble in the DEC axis. It's entirely possible that I haven't quite got the worm gears adjusted perfectly, but I'm also probably asking a little too much from this mount in terms of weight. I got an EQ6 and found that it guides a lot better, hence the sale.

GoTo performance is great using the EQMOD system via a PC, and when I had the handset, 3-star calibration worked well. 

IMG_20200922_182819.jpg

IMG_20200922_182826.jpg

IMG_20200922_182829.jpg

IMG_20200922_182837.jpg

IMG_20200922_182845.jpg

IMG_20200922_182853.jpg

IMG_20200922_182902.jpg

IMG_20200922_182923.jpg

Edited by rnobleeddy
price reduction

Yeah, had a few people interested, but no one able to collect, and I think I've definitely ruled out being able to ship the tripod + weights!

would this take a c8 edge and small ccd do you think

5 hours ago, iwols said:

would this take a c8 edge and small ccd do you think

It's good for 10Kg total but if you're using it for imaging I don't think it'd be wise to go beyond 6Kg. I don't know how much a c8 weights, but if the 8 means inches, I'd guess it'll be too heavy for imaging!

Edited by rnobleeddy

thanks guess so the edge weighs about 7kg but good luck with sale

Price reduced. Lots of interest on ABS, but no one local. I have since learnt that I can probably can box this up, but it'll require at least two parcels with Hermes due to weight/size and is likely to cost at least £30

Hi, I am intresting for the mount without the tripod if this is possible? How much it will be cost ?if this is still available ;)

Send me a email if this is still available a.a.deptula@gmail.com

2 hours ago, Alicja said:

Hi, I am intresting for the mount without the tripod if this is possible? How much it will be cost ?if this is still available ;)

Apologies - this went a while ago through another site, forgot to remove this one.