Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A poor workman blames ...........

steppenwolf

46 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Here's an official quote from a UK supplier - not me making it up 🤣  (I have emboldened and coloured the bullet point in question):-

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS OF ASTRODON NARROWBAND FILTERS:

• 1.25" mounted, mounted in 31 mm rings (for QSI), 36 mm unmounted, 49.7 mm diameter and square unmounted (36 mm filters will not exceed 36.1 mm dia.)
  • 3 +/- 0.025 mm thick (5 nm);  3+/-0.05 mm thick (3 nm) substrate prior to coating
  • Parfocal with all other Astrodon filters (depending upon telescope optics)
  • Peak transmittance guaranteed >90% at the emission line (97-98%T typical) f/10 to f/3.5 for both 3 nm and 5 nm
  • >90%T at the emission wavelengths for 5 nm OIII and H-a at f/3. >80%T for SII at f/3
  • >90%T for 3 nm OIII at f/3
  • Steep spectral profile minimizes halos around bright stars
  • >4 OD (out of band blocking)  300 - 1150 nm
  • Single, striae-free 1/4 wave fused silica substrate
  • 30 arcsecond parallelism
  • Durable hard-oxide sputtered coatings with a 5-year limited warranty against delamination
  • All filters are coated to the edge and edge-blackened to minimize stray light contamination that can come though the uncoated "rim" in other brands

Yeah I dont see it happening unless you chip the edge of the filter or expose it to some sort of thermal shock. AD used to give a even longer warrenty I think your ok for a decade or so to be honest. Probably much longer than that.

Edited by Adam J

3 hours ago, Hallingskies said:

Glad to see I’m not the only one doubting my equipment (or my sanity!).  I have been having exactly the same crisis of confidence in my OIII filter just lately, and went for the Western Veil nebula as a test.  Needless to say, the OIII-screened photons rattled down the tube and on to the camera, no problem.

I think that there has been a lot of high haze of late, despite the clear-looking skies.  It happens every early autumn, and yet still I have the same old doubts...

So easy to blame the equipment but once there is a doubt set in, it is difficult to shake!

20 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Great capture Steve :)

The QSI683 Im using also throws the occasional wobbler, usually in the form of the dreaded windows 7 "ding dong" to tell me the camera has disconnected itself. The only way to bring it back online is to disconnect/reconnect both the power and USB cables, then wait for the two beeps before reconnecting via maxim.

20 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Had similar problem with one of mine and think I traced it to the power connector, doesn't seem to be a very good fit, I presume its a standard 2.1 pin but only had to breath on mine and it disconnected, squirted some contact cleaner on it and now use it with power cable wrapped around USB cable to keep some sideways tension on it, hasn't disconnected since then but may just be a coincidence, lost a couple of hours subs one night when it first did it.

Dave

Crazy how manufacturers allow such an important set of connections to be so flimsy.

• Like 1