Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Odd filters in 11x70 binoculars

John

I've recently found that the soft rubber eye cup of my 11x70 binoculars will safely and neatly hold a 1.25" filter just in front of the eye lens and with some eye cup shielding above it.

I've been thinking about picking up a 2nd 1.25" UHC filter to match another I already have to use with the binoculars. I do currently have a nice 1.25" O-III filter though and have been wondering what the effect would be of using a UHC on one side and the O-III on the other ?

Has anyone tried this ?

• Like 1

I have indeed. I started using UHC and OIII together before I went to UHC and Nebustar II and was able to see the Veil with 15x70s quite easily under a fair bit of LP. Your brain will merge the two different images (UHC/OIII) into one composite - it's a really cool effect.

The OIII will block a lot of light with 70mm of aperture, so don't expect miracles of course, but it does work. Same old caveat applies, the darker the skies the better, especially using filters on binoculars.

With the NAN and Pelican, I realised I never had a decent view until I saw it a few weeks ago with UHC/OIII in the 15x70s, it was practically glowing under 21.15 skies! 

Filters can make a massive difference with binoculars, all the large areas of nebulosity in the Milky Way are that much clearer.

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ships and Stars said:

I have indeed. I started using UHC and OIII together before I went to UHC and Nebustar II and was able to see the Veil with 15x70s quite easily under a fair bit of LP.

The OIII will block a lot of light with 70mm of aperture, so don't expect miracles of course, but it does work. Same old caveat applies, the darker the better, especially using filters on binoculars.

With the NAN and Pelican, I realised I never had a decent view until I saw it a few weeks ago with UHC/OIII in the 15x70s, it was practically glowing under 21.15 skies! 

Filters can make a massive difference with binoculars, all the large areas of nebulosity in the Milky Way are that much clearer.

Thanks very much :thumbright:

Next clear dark night and you can guess what I will be trying !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, John said:

Thanks very much :thumbright:

Next clear dark night and you can guess what I will be trying !

I think you'll like it! I was pleased. It won't be big bright views with OIII like through the 12" dob, but it does work and a few weeks ago was also the first time I've seen both E & W Veil in the same FOV. One thing to mention is any stray light will reflect off the mirrored filter coatings, so a hood or towel is recommended unless the eyecups seal out the light well. Have fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JohnI bought my Helios Apollo 15x70 binos several years ago and have often used a combination of filters. Usually I have the TeleVue Nebustar II on one side and a Lumicon UHC on the other. I often switch the Lumicon for an Astronomik O-III and like Ship and Stars have had good views of the NAN and the Veil. There are many other objects that appear good with this arrangement - The Helix, Rosette, Monkey Head etc.

I have even tried Hb and a UHC to view the California Neb which although very faint I could detect a glimmer of something.

Quite often I use these binos, lying back in a reclining chair, in total darkness at the end of the garden which I did the other night. Had a good view of the Helix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Best filters for this... I got some CLS filters for light pollution reduction, but maybe not narrow enough??

Peter

I'll be using the 1.25 inch filters I currently have: Meade 4000 Nebular UHC type and an Astronomik O-III. I do have an H-Beta in 1.25" as well but I doubt that will be effective with the binoculars :icon_scratch: