Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Connectors for a battery box

wookie1965

I made a battery box a couple of years back and put two cigarette lighter sockets in but they are not that stable so I would like to swap them. My mount being tip positive I'd like to know what to get and how to wire them up please so I don't fry the board. Would like screw connectors makes for a better connection. 

3 minutes ago, wormix said:

Timely as I am building a power box in the next week so had the same question

Are these connectors impossible to insert the wrong way round?  I presume there is a lug that means they always go the right way in? 

yes there is a lug but it is up to you to wire + - correctly at both ends 

These are very good connectors , just be very careful to establish the system polarity as there are examples around of both options , even within one manufacturer who uses them as original power connectors. The EQ8 and the newer EQ8R have opposite conventions.

But given that caveat , they are very reliable and I can recommend them , they will never disconnect by accident. 

powerEQ8full.jpg

EQ8R_power.jpg

Edited by fifeskies

Make sure you have a multimeter and check, then double check that the polarity in your new connectors matches the old and you should be fine. 

Im paranoid about wiring mine in but as long as the multimeter matches there won’t be a problem....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wormix said:

Make sure you have a multimeter and check, then double check that the polarity in your new connectors matches the old and you should be fine. 

Im paranoid about wiring mine in but as long as the multimeter matches there won’t be a problem....

That's exactly why I will be buying these much easier to make sure I'm tip positive. 

• 5 weeks later...

depends what you want to supply the 12v to in the distribution box or are we talking the feed from battery to distribution box

Amps
@ 13.8 Volts  LENGTH OF WIRE
American Wire Gauge (AWG)
Amps    0-4 ft. 4-7 ft.  7-10 ft.  10-13 ft.  13-16 ft.  16-19 ft.  19-22 ft.
0-10     16-ga. 16-ga.    14-ga.     14-ga.      12-ga.    10-ga.    10-ga.
10–15    14-ga. 14-ga.    14-ga.     12-ga.      10-ga.     8-ga.     8-ga.
15-20    12-ga. 12-ga.    12-ga.     12-ga.      10-ga.     8-ga.     8-ga.
20-35    12-ga. 10-ga.    10-ga.     10-ga.      10-ga.     8-ga.     8-ga.

the above give's you some idea

also have a look at this site for a more detailed info plus a calculator further down the page

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Edited by fozzybear