Narrowband

PI - Stretch bright target while retaining faint background?

I took 2hr27min of M57 last night with our SW200dps & Canon600d. I'm trying to process it, but M57 is very bright compared to the rest of the objects in the sky. If I stretch the image to bring out the nebula I lose the faint detail such as the barred spiral galaxy IC1296, but if I apply a 'normal' ScreenTransferFunction stretch, the nebula is completely washed out.

What's the best way to proceed? Should I process both & recombine with PixelMath, or Mask M57 & apply different stretches to the nebula & background?

I'm early on in the workflow, having just done background removal, BN & PCC (so no noise reduction yet). Screen Grab shows the 'normal' STF & a MaskedStretch applied to a preview.

Any help much appreciated!
Cheers
Ivor

M57_Query.JPG

I use arcsinh stretch for rgb images, and follow up with curves stretch. Here, I pin the high end of the scale so the curve is straight for values I don’t want blown out, and only stretch the lower end. For L, I use histogram stretch in several iterations, with the midpoint slider at 0.25, until I get a pleasing image with a weak background. Then I switch to curves as per above. Sometimes I use multiscale hdr transform with a 50% mask to reduce overly bright areas a little. This workflow allows control over bright and dark areas.

HTH,

• Thanks 1