Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dual Fork mount or typical Alt Az mount for Giant Binoculars?

bond19

Hi Stargazers,

When using your giant binoculars and BT's do you prefer to sweep the sky with your bins on a dual fork mount or is it more comfortable using a typical single arm Alt Az mount? I'd love to hear your thoughts... 

Parallelogram; I've a UA T-mount for my big binos (6kg-ish), for more than 15 years, and I can't imagine going back to anything else, not least because I can always have the eyepiece at a comfortable height, and I can see nearly a quarter of the sky without needing to move (handy if seated).

I was thinking of a fork or Alt Az mount with encoders to help me find things. Is this overkill for a decent pair of 100mm bins? I love sweeping the sky but don't really know how to find things or what I'm looking at?

Does a parallelogram 'fold up' easily for compact storing or does it need to be always assembled for 'grab and go' (this is a big consideration for my needs). 

Edited by bond19

17 hours ago, bond19 said:

I was thinking of a fork or Alt Az mount with encoders to help me find things. Is this overkill for a decent pair of 100mm bins? I love sweeping the sky but don't really know how to find things or what I'm looking at?

I don't do it, but I don't think it's overkill at all. If it's what you need to enjoy your binoculars, then do it. Seems to me to be a waste of money to buy decent optical kit and then not mount it in a way that is ideal for you.

Does a parallelogram 'fold up' easily for compact storing or does it need to be always assembled for 'grab and go' (this is a big consideration for my needs). 

No, unless you dismantle it, storing a P-mount can be a pain. Mind you, mine has the UA "deluxe" head, which adds another level of storage - and transport - hell because of the system for attaining front-back balance (but I think it's worth it for the sheer joy of using it).

As binoculars give a right way up view I’d familiarise myself with the area with lower power binocukars and pop the green laser on the big bins so you can get started in the right place and jump to your target. Bin bins show plenty (possibly too many) stars, so star hopping isn’t too hard.

I have 45degree angles eyepiece binocukars so just use a tripod and video head, (only get close to the zenith is any trouble but possible) I would need a different head  if I got a larger model though.

Having a solid stable mount that you can access all the sky with is key or you’ll get less use from your binoculars. 

Peter

Many places, but best to use a reputable astro retailer and make sure the power is <5mW max. I got some “5mW” from a cheaper source and they tested out to around 50mW! Had to build a customer neutral density cap to attenuate them down to safe levels.best to keep them warm and use lithium batteries to stop the output getting too affected by the cold. I keep mine in a pocket and then pop it on a vgroove to use and then back into the warmth.

peter