Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 22nd Sep - Personal best

CraigT82

Fantastic result, such great detail.

I have access to a 14” LX600 and tonight is looking good, plus I’m off work tomorrow so planning a late one.

I just bought a 685 filter, and have LRGB filters, in a manual wheel, with a 290MM.

I have done any planetary imaging in a long time. Any tips?

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I have access to a 14” LX600 and tonight is looking good, plus I’m off work tomorrow so planning a late one.

I just bought a 685 filter, and have LRGB filters, in a manual wheel, with a 290MM.

I would concentrate on Neptune Mars and Uranus. Jupiter and Saturn are just too low to make the most of the big scope. 

Capture Neptune and Uranus with the 685nm, maybe 30 mins worth?  And maybe a single RGB run just to get the colour. 

Mars just straight RGB maybe or even IRRGB.  I would think an ADC would be beneficial with that big scope. 

Whatever you do good luck! 

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Not sure how much access or clear sky you will have with this scope but I would get set up early. As Craig says Jupiter and Saturn maybe not great but good to practice on to iron out any glitches ahead of the main event - Mars.

I'd love to see the results too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Tommohawk @CraigT82

Thanks for the replies guys.  It’s in an observatory, I did the installation and I’ve access to it to set it up, test images etc make sure it’s ready for opening mid October - it’s not open to the public just yet.

I tried Jupiter and Saturn 2 weeks ago but they are below the viewing angle.  I did some deep sky imaging instead.  Mars should clear the roof line, planning to image around 12:30am onwards

5A783E2D-D277-475E-BE92-44FE63970E9D.jpeg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

@Tommohawk @CraigT82

Thanks for the replies guys.  It’s in an observatory, I did the installation and I’ve access to it to set it up, test images etc make sure it’s ready for opening mid October - it’s not open to the public just yet.

I tried Jupiter and Saturn 2 weeks ago but they are below the viewing angle.  I did some deep sky imaging instead.  Mars should clear the roof line, planning to image around 12:30am onwards

5A783E2D-D277-475E-BE92-44FE63970E9D.jpeg

Wow what a fantastic rig! That pillar looks 6ft tall! Maybe just the camera angle. I'm guessing you either have electric focuser... or stepladder. And you have manual filter wheel? 

Wow what a fantastic rig! That pillar looks 6 ft tall!! or maybe its just a funny camera angle. If it really is that tall you'll have fun with a manual filter wheel!

Do post the images though - hopefully they should be something special if all goes well - good luck!

Ehh? sorry posted twice - thought the first one hadnt gone.

Edited by Tommohawk

3 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Wow what a fantastic rig! That pillar looks 6ft tall! Maybe just the camera angle. I'm guessing you either have electric focuser... or stepladder. And you have manual filter wheel? 

It’s 8+ feet, and a step ladder!  Don’t want to derail Craig’s thread, all packed for later  👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 1