Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars and Strange Object!

Moonshed

I was taking some images of Mars last night through my 8” Celestron, just low magnification stuff using my Lumicon East Guider.
I used automatic exposure settings on my Canon EOS and just pressed the button on the remote when wanting a pic. Most of them turned out as expected, a small reddish sphere, but two of them were really weird. 
I don’t know how I managed to alter the focus twice and to the same extent five images apart, but somehow I must have because this is one of them, the other is almost identical.

it’s definitely a UFO.  (only kidding)

Or maybe a lens flare or something.

Anyway, it’s an interesting effect and no doubt some of you will be able to explain exactly what it is....a UFO!

AC405261-43DD-4A81-AE99-745E2FBB47DC.jpeg

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Have you complained at the local planning office in alpha Centauri? 

I did, but they said they had posted the necessary notifications giving Earth plenty of time to appeal the decision, but they posted it in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet in their  office basement!  It is now too late to appeal so Earth  will be destroyed 2:00pm tomorrow. See you in the pub.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I did, but they said they had posted the necessary notifications giving Earth plenty of time to appeal the decision, but they posted it in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet in their  office basement!  It is now too late to appeal so Earth  will be destroyed 2:00pm tomorrow. See you in the pub.

Make sure you get some peanuts

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paul M said:

Never mind the pretty lens flare, that's an interesting rendition of Mars. I know it's grossly overexposed but I'm surprised how symmetrical and well contained it is. A work of art in itself! :) 

I have spent countless hours sweating buckets over images of distant galaxies, nebula, planets, sun and moon and consider some of them  to be nothing less than exceedingly marvellous, kinda, and all my friends and family can manage is  to say “ that’s nice”. 
I get a freak shot of Mars and a lens flare and they are all posting and reposting it to all and sundry!

My wife even wants me to print it off so she can frame it and hang it in the living room. I give up.
It is an eye catching image though I have to admit 😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moonshed said:

My wife even wants me to print it off so she can frame it and hang it in the living room. I give up.
It is an eye catching image though I have to admit 😄

And so you should, it reminds me of the spray paint "space art" being offered by street vendors in the Spanish resorts some years back.

We bought and framed some of that for our first house.