Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fleming's Triangular Wisp AKA Pickering's Triangle

TerryMcK

The weather overnight 21/09/2020 to 22/09/2020 was not supposed to be good with reference to the local weather forecast. Well Owain was wrong (if you live in north west England you will know who he is) and I managed to get 6 full hours of Ha, SII and OIII data on the area known as Fleming's Triangle also known as Pickering's Triangle. I didn't lose one sub.

I have initially processed it using AstroPixelProcessor, Pixinsight, Topaz Denoise and Photoshop. Ha mapped Red, SII mapped green and OIII mapped blue. 

• Telescope: William Optics Zenithstar 103 with x0.8 reducer/flattener
  • Camera: ZWO ASI 183MM Pro - Gain 111 Offset 8
  • Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod.
  • Ha 40 x 180 seconds, SII 40 x 180 Seconds, OIII 40 x 180 Seconds. Total exposure time 6 hours

FlemTriangleV1ProcessedCropped.thumb.jpg.8c11161ef1cb842aa5ebbbfd44946dc6.jpg

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 12

You've captured lots of nice detail - interesting choice of colours! I've got to say I mess around endlessly with colour mappings in PI and then often end up blending more than one in PS (or equivalent). Interesting to see you're using Topaz DeNoise - I am currently trying DeNoise AI and comparing it with DxO Dfine - both on 30 day trial.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks all - I like the colour combination too as it is something different. I think it needs some more work to smooth out the background and will post any updates into this thread. I use Photoshop for post processing and APP for pre-processing but PI needs some serious looking at to get the most out of it. However I have a Pixinsight online course tonight 22/09/2020 with MastersOfPixInsight at 7PM. I find I have only scratched the surface of what can be done with PI.

@Adreneline Adrian I can really recommend Topaz DenoiseAI as it produces great results as long as you don't over do it. Experiment with automode and also play around with manual settings as sometimes it can create unexpected artifacts in auto mode.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with Affinity Photo and it is very similar to Photoshop but cost me £23.99 back in June. I'm not sure how much it is now.

This is the first time I've played with it and the results are very encouraging. Same data as above with APP doing the initial registration and integration.

These are the results from Affinity Photo.

FlemTriangle.thumb.jpg.9c076e12f2f013e5f01e2ebf1716b17d.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Here is one done in Pixinsight as SHO and the process:

1. Channel Combination R=SII, G=Ha, B=OIII
  2. I did an autoscreen transfer function
  3. Tweaked the STF very slightly and applied it to a Histogram Transform to make the image non linear
  4. Next I inverted the image and did a SCNR to remove green the reinverted the image again
  5. HDR Multiscale Transform next with 6 layers and 1 iteration with B3 Spline (5) and a lightness mask
  6. Script dark structure enhance
  7. Starnet to create a starless image and a star mask
  8. Saved the starless image as a 16bit TIFF and imported it into Photoshop
  9. In Photoshop the image was denoised with Topaz
  10. Balanced the histogram to move the black point slightly I run another PI unsharp mask on it and saved it again
  11. Back to PixInsight the starless image was loaded up again
  12. Invert the starmask and did a SCNR on the green component and inverted it back again
  13. Next run a photometric colour calibration on the star mask based upon my focal length/pixel size/date of acquisition and RA/DEC
  14. PixelMath came next to add together the two images
  15. Export as a PNG
  16. Here is yet another rendition of Pickerings Triangular Wisp AKA Flemings Triangle

FlemTriangleTMC.thumb.png.ee4dff8b5548c5d6b4fa342e273675bd.png

• Like 1