Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars at 48° last week...

Kokatha man

Yes - the boot's on the other foot now as I said in Simon's thread a few minutes back - Mars scrapes 48° at home but we got the same altitude at Yongala some time after culmination last week...

This is the first of a series (hopefully!) of annotated images - we hope to capture the entire Mars' globe's vista in perhaps 4 or 5 images...with a lot of luck & optimism with the seeing we have had this year...but I decided that an annotated disk would be a good thing to do when almost every image one the net that gets into any details is a projection map: I think others besides ourselves would like a reasonably accurate annotated disk image for easy & quick referencing...

Some anomalies might be present but I've saved the file as a layered .psd for easy corrections...here's hoping we get the chance to fulfil the exercise this apparition because I want the consistency of this current apparition & not use earlier apparitions' images - the albedo markings etc on Mars changing dramatically from each one. ;)

Will probably need clicking on the image to see it at full scale. :)

mars2020-09-13_1802_rgb_dpm@150%-ANNOTATED-FIN.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thanks fellas - for some reason it now seems to work when you click on it for full scale then wait for the "+" cursor to appear...opening at the scale meant in a new tab...perhaps a change I wasn't aware of on SGL..! :lol: 

...but I do seem to need to use the scroll bar & drag it down a bit to get the "+" to appear..?!? 😯

Edited by Kokatha man

Hi Pete - "thanks" - hours & hours of slaving away on the internet looking at all sorts of drawings & images both old & new: some demarcations have (almost) passed into antiquity :lol: but still used in some quarters...others have had there boundaries redefined somewhat over time...& many are quite obscure in their specific locations...the more modern examples of this being ones that I suspect are people who are "hedging their bets" a tad..! :lol: 

I'm fairly certain that I've got 90%+ of the nomenclature correct & as said this is an ongoing "project" where I've already added a few more annotations to this image...corrections will be easy & I've done a couple already*, having saved it as a layered .psd to do so. ;) 

I've created a bit of a rod for our own back,s as the project will require at least 3 or 4 more image outcomes of similar quality - challenging with the weather we've been having almost all year in South Oz, leaving aside the elevation Mars only rises to this year.

* Not corrections per se - I wanted to place another annotation in & the Hellaspontus pointer needed to be shifted somewhat for that to fit, I gave it a sort of "fork" also to indicated that this feature (Hellaspontus) was actually the arc of darker albedo encircling one side of Hellas itself, beyond Yaonis Fretum & Regio...

Will probably post the amended version here sometime & any others we might garner & annotate. :) 

• Like 1

Thanks once again fellas - no special treatment, although this is the first time this apparition that the Mars data could be 3x drizzled during stacking, which demands quite a bit of the raw data.

Here's the ammended annotations etc for this image - spelling corrected also as despite it being the Hellas Basin the encircling darker albedo is Hellespontus...probably due to the Hellespont connecting the Black Sea to the Mediterranean...

Remember to click on the image & then click on the "+" sign thereafter... ;) 

mars2020-09-13_1802_rgb_dpm@150%-ANNOTATED-FIN+.png

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this fantastic image and annotation. It has helped me identify the correct way up for my images and made me realise that the animated GIF I shared had the frames reversed! No wonder I couldn't work out why Mars seemed to be rotating the wrong way... 🙄

Heh-hee...that's a common issue brother, nothing to be embarrassed by! Precise N-S as indicated by the little symbol/glyph is actually only realised in the mono images (the red, green & blue filter ones) whereas all the colour images have a slight clockwise rotational twist to them as they were captured - as you can see from the position of the South Polar ice cap. (the mono images were put through WinJUPOS whereby they are orientated truly)

Incidentally, with North up the rotation will be left to right as it is here on Earth, which is also West to East & helps in direction...ie, in the annotated image Mare (M.) Erythraeum is to the west of (say) Serpentis.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stu, Peter & Pete! :)

Peter, for me being able to drizzle 3x allows for a much smoother & subtle outcome at whatever final scale you decide upon, achieving the resolution desired along with contrast, without appearing "pushed" or excessively contrasted...it applies to Jove, Saturn & Mars, but is of course much more demanding upon your original capture data.

This was the first time this year we have been able to apply it...& for last night's data also! ;)