Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed with alignment problems

oldannie

I've started to have alignment problems with my NEQ6 and synscan. Am aware that there could be a number of causes. I don't think it's an optical problem but some kind of mechanical problem.  Until now I have always done a three star alignment and wonder if it's significant that it is the third alignment star that is now never anywhere to be seen? I have re polar aligned using polemaster as usual and done a factory reset so am looking for the next issue to consider.  So frustrating on clear nights to take over an hour to align and find my target!!

Annie

This doesn't explain your problem, but will get you imaging much faster.

How many targets do you image each night ?

If like me the answer is "one", then why are you aligning your mount to enable it to accurately GoTo all parts of the sky ?

After PA, GoTo a star close to your target, centre it, and SYNCH.

The mount now has an alignment to that region of the sky.

Then GoTo your target, should be in your FOV.

Michael

That makes sense Michael, for a while I had better results doing a two star alignment with stars near my target as like you it's normally one target a night.  Will try your suggestion though. In the meantime I now have star trailing on two or three of my images - to me that suggests something is moving though not sure how to start diagnosing it!!

Thanks for the suggestion Michael - much appreciated.

Annie

Am going to have to go through all these things.  I think I shall initially make sure everything is tight enough which is something I should have done after a summer lay off!  Will certainly consider  backlash and periodic error.

Thanks again

Annie