Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
NovaeSci

Has anybody studied the UCLAN BSc in Astronomy?

Hi all,

My first post here. I've done a search, but most post on UCLAN seem to be from years ago. I've enrolled on Introduction to Astronomy, with the intention of completing the whole BSc, moving on to a MSc in Astrophysics and then a PhD.

I'm curious if people rate this degree? I was originally going to the Open University Physics degree, but I felt there wasn't enough Astro-content. This one is packed full.

All the best,

Michael :D

Hi

That sounds like an excellent idea. 

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the quality of the course, and how it would prepare you for a Masters and beyond, but I'm sure that if you emailed Andy Newsom at Liverpool John Moores University he'll be happy to give his views.  LJMU is a significant provider of online Astronomy courses in its own right, and Andy is a big advocate of distance learning. 

Thanks for the advice :) Is there a direct email address I should send my email to?

17 hours ago, NovaeSci said:

Thanks for the advice :) Is there a direct email address I should send my email to?

You'll find it on the LJMU website, I mis-typed his name though, it's Andy Newsam.

20 hours ago, NovaeSci said:

Hi all,

My first post here. I've done a search, but most post on UCLAN seem to be from years ago. I've enrolled on Introduction to Astronomy, with the intention of completing the whole BSc, moving on to a MSc in Astrophysics and then a PhD.

I'm curious if people rate this degree? I was originally going to the Open University Physics degree, but I felt there wasn't enough Astro-content. This one is packed full.

All the best,

Michael :D

Hi Michael, welcome to SGL.

I did this introductory course in 2013 and thought it was well worth it. However, was also doing an engineering degree with the OU (only two modules left), so didn't continue.

If I recall correctly, you'll need to do more than one module per year to get the degree, due to the number of modules.

I've done five first year level courses under this consortium and found them excellent on all counts. Going further would have meant sorting out my maths, a potentially impossible challenge. I was a teacher at the time of my astronomical studies and, therefore, had an interest in the business of teaching and learning as a subject in its own right. What struck me was how well thought-out the courses were from a pedagogical point of view. I felt I was being very well taught.

Olly

Hi

I've got a physics with astrophysics degree and the amount of maths in the degree (and the level of it) was close to 50% of the content. My concern would-be the step up from a BSc in astronomy (where, in general, the level of maths is not comparable to a physics degree) to a MSc and PhD in astrophysics. 

If you have confidence in your maths then go for it and for all I know the BSc may contain more maths then I envisage. 

I have been contemplating doing a astro course but it's been 40 years since I did any maths to any degree I would definitely need a refresher course to scrub up. I have a o level in maths so you can see how long it has been. 

Hi NovaeSci,

I am enrolled currently in the UCLAN BSc course. I would agree that it is excellent and challenging (the latter maybe because I am a MD). I can't say how well it will prepare you for the MSc and PhD levels. Regarding math you will need something a bit more than IGCSE level - some basic calculus is required even for the level one courses. If you wish to get the degree in a reasonable time you will need to do two or three courses a year. Part time I have found two courses a year my limit. 

Best